Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Anybody try these? >

Anybody try these?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anybody try these?

Old 10-07-2008, 06:17 PM
mountaineer magic

Default RE: Anybody try these?

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: Gotbuck

Always looking at new products, haven't seen pricing on these. You don't need sabots and the underside looks strange as though it promotes an air pocket when it sits on the powder?

http://www.hornady.com/media/2008catalog/Page_0043.pdf
Yes, we have seen them. The FPB=Flextip Projectile Blackpowder. That are $17 for 15 at Gander MT, again about $1.00 each, Walmart has them also. The underside expands to grab the rifleing, similar to the Powerbelt skirt, except this is made of copper or copper alloy. They look like an excellent MLer bullet, should be great for Colorado and other no sabot states. Should be good also for flintlocks with real BP.
Chap
I think they are illegal in Colorado unless you take a pair of pliers and pull the flex tip out.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a pack but have not shot them
Old 10-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got a deal on 4 packs at just under $15 a pack ($4 less than Walmart wants) and plan on using them for an elk hunt starting next weekend. I've only tried them in my White Umag and found they shoot well at 100 to 110 grains of 777 3F. I am getting around 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards and can hit all around a clay pigeon at 200 yards using the peep sight set up I have on the rifle. Hopefully I will have a positive report on game in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

I only shot two of them (in my Omega) and at 100 yds they shot 5 inches low and about 4 inches to the left. I was sighted to be 1 inch high with 120 grs of BH 209 and 290 gr TMZs.I used 100 grs of BH 209 with the FPBs. The two shots were about 3 inches apart. I think I will stick with the TMZs, I know they perform.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

If they expand to grab the rifleing is there any worry about "leading the barrel"? I've always shot sabots and I assume this is nothing more than a big conical. The price does seem high but again everything is now a days.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot acouple of packsof them and have never noticed any lead or jacket metal buildup after cleaning. I just use soap andhot water, no solvents or brushes. I've had very good accuracey with them by the way.