HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Shooten' PRB's in Colfax (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/266573-shooten-prbs-colfax.html)

sabotloader 10-05-2008 05:52 PM

Shooten' PRB's in Colfax

Noticed in the paper Saturday that the Colfax crew was going to have a "sight-in" shoot today soI gathered everything up and headed over. Never been over to thier shooting area before but it is just outside Colfax in a basalt canyon, probably formed by the Missoula floods. It was worth the drive justlook at the rock formations. I really wish I had a better camera with me - but I will go back and get some pictures later. I did take one... I never knew we had a wooden covered railroad bridge in the is country at all- thought they were all back east - but yet there one was.

Here is a pic with my little point & shoot camera... I think the whole area is cool..

But the reasonI went over was to shoot this new Renegade 50 I got a couple of weeks ago... I have now decided "it is a keeper"... It is one sweet shooter.

I did install one of RMC's "V" peep sites on it, thinking it might help my eyes with open sights. It took a little bit to get use to the "V" peep and where to put the front bead - but once I decided to just let my eyes do it and not make such a federal case of it - things worked smoothly.

I am not much of an open sight shooter but I did feel good about this shoot. To further test the guns capabilities we picked out some rocks across the river and tried to hit them. I ranged the rocks at a 140 yards. I was totally surprised the 50 cal round ball with just 60 grains would go across that distance aiming right at the target. I certainly underestimated the ability of the PRB. Two other people were shooting with me, they were shooting flinters and using my sticks - they accoomplished the same shots... we were all giving each other hi-5's at our ability... Remember we areold...

Oh! here is my 50 yard target...Wish I could tell you that this was 3 different groups - but not so all one sitting...

cayugad 10-05-2008 06:02 PM

RE: Shooten' PRB's in Colfax

That looks like some good shooting to me.. 60 grains of powder is all? Now I have one .50 caliber rifle that I shoot 70 grains of Goex 3f, so that would be about the same load I am guessing...

gleason.chapman 10-05-2008 06:07 PM

Beautiful shootiny and place. Chap

falcon 10-05-2008 06:22 PM

Some beautiful scenery and some good shooting.

thumper50 10-05-2008 07:22 PM

Sure is fun shootin them old sidehammers, ain't it!!:D:D That is some good shootin der Mike!! Gonna get out and do it again this week I hope. Might try that 3f t7 in the .45, bout 50grs and see what happens! Old guys can shoot too!

bronko22000 10-05-2008 07:43 PM

Pretty cool place there. And good shooting. Glad you had fun.

lemoyne 10-05-2008 09:30 PM

Good for you, its always fun to get out and shoot. My wife is going in for surgery so it will be a while for me, kind of shuts down the deer hunting at the wrong time too. Lee

cascadedad 10-06-2008 01:15 AM

Nice Mike. I really like the land arond theColfax area. It is beautiful and is loaded with deer. Sure wish I lived closer.

High-5's..... Kind of like the day you and I were making those 300+ yard shots??? I've never see someone load as fast as you were that day!!! :D