HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Barnes Spit-fire TMZ (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/266039-barnes-spit-fire-tmz.html)

mountaineer magic 10-02-2008 11:30 AM

Barnes Spit-fire TMZ

WOW!! is an under statement. I must have been using easy load sabots for to long. I tried the barnes tmz this morning in my triumph . I was considering using it Saturday for doe season. I really like the BCE and the 100% weight retention and expansion qualities . It looks like a great bullet but after struggling to get the first one down the barrel ( quite a chore) I decided to not load a second one. Does anybody know how it performs if the sabot is switched to an easy load or crush rib sabot.
I don't have the strength to load a second one I don't think

a little later:

p.s. Well I ordered some HPH 3 petal sabots. We'll see how that works when they get here. In the mean time I am going to use the sabots from my shockwaves and see how they shoot with the 2 petal sabot. let you know

cayugad 10-02-2008 12:26 PM

RE: Barnes Spit-fire TMZ

Unfortunately when you start switching components there is really no telling how it will behave until you get it to the range and see for yourself. I bought a bunch of Barnes bullets and have to see if they are going to shoot well with the supplied sabots. If not, then we will be switching them over to something else..

revpilot 10-02-2008 01:34 PM

The TMZ are boattail bullets, i dont think the crush ribs are made for boattails, you might try the knight ultimate slam with easy load sabots. They are made by Barnes and are the same as those TMZ, but come with a blue easy load boattail sabot.

mayguy 10-02-2008 01:43 PM

I use them in my Omega (very tight with yellow sabot). I use a HPH 24 sabot with a sub base under it. This combo works well for me, a 5/8 inch, three shot group, at 50 yds. I have killed 3 deer with this combo. I tried without the sub base and the group was much bigger.
I have tried the yellow sabot with BH 209 and it doesen't load very hard but I still get a better group with the HPH 24 and sub base-- 1 1/2 inch at 100 yds-- probably as good as I can shoot,
I used 120 grs of 777 and 120 grs of BH 209. Only trying this in your particular gun will tell if it works for you.
It was amazing how much easier it loaded with the BH 209, no swabbing with over 40 shots WOW!

Semisane 10-02-2008 01:53 PM

The TMZ are boattail bullets, i dont think the crush ribs are made for boattails
Never tried it, but I've always wondered if it would work ifyou put a little cornmeal in a crush rib then pushed the boattail bullet to seat in the cornmeal.

mountaineer magic 10-02-2008 04:26 PM

ORIGINAL: mayguy

I use them in my Omega (very tight with yellow sabot). I use a HPH 24 sabot with a sub base under it. This combo works well for me, a 5/8 inch, three shot group, at 50 yds. I have killed 3 deer with this combo. I tried without the sub base and the group was much bigger.
I have tried the yellow sabot with BH 209 and it doesen't load very hard but I still get a better group with the HPH 24 and sub base-- 1 1/2 inch at 100 yds-- probably as good as I can shoot,
I used 120 grs of 777 and 120 grs of BH 209. Only trying this in your particular gun will tell if it works for you.
It was amazing how much easier it loaded with the BH 209, no swabbing with over 40 shots WOW!
I almost ordered the HPH 24 sabots and then decided on the 3 petal since they are suppose to be the easiest loading. Guess I'll find out.
They sure don't shoot in a superglide sabot. I couldn't stay on paper. Went back to the shockwave and had the next 2 in the 10 ringer. Guess it will be a while before I shoot the spitfire tmz's. worse comes to worse i'll order the sub-base and the 24's as you suggested. thanks

gleason.chapman 10-02-2008 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: revpilot

The TMZ are boattail bullets, i dont think the crush ribs are made for boattails, you might try the knight ultimate slam with easy load sabots. They are made by Barnes and are the same as those TMZ, but come with a blue easy load boattail sabot.
Correct the TMZ are boat Tails, but there are two ways to go, #1 some guys put a #18 washer at the bottom of the bullet with a crushed rib or 3 petal ez so it providesflatness when fired. the2nd way to go is with a new Barnes Bullet that is Flat Based, it is a Flat Based TMZ, it is only available from Barnes and you can buy it on their web site here:

http://www.barnesbullets.com/product...-ez⼯a>??/

It is called the spit-fire T-EZ. Knight also makes a sabot for the TMZ that is looser. You can call their customer service to get the part number, some folks have found that sabot to work well with the TMZ.
Chap

gleason.chapman 10-02-2008 06:06 PM

This may help.
Chap

mountaineer magic 10-03-2008 07:42 AM

Thanks Chap. The chart helps. I guess for the hunt tomorrow i'll stick with the Scorpion pt gold and my wife with the shockwave. This is her first time ever hunting.

bowbender6 10-03-2008 08:22 AM

You can order the Blue EZ load sabots that work the TMZ boattails from
Barnes.My buddy has a long range hunter and a Revolution and one gun uses the yellow sabot and the other uses the blue due to barrel tolerences.