HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Good news / Bad news / worse news (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/265910-good-news-bad-news-worse-news.html)

saxman1 10-01-2008 05:03 PM

Good news / Bad news / worse news

I got my second deer with my crossbow for the archery season

I spent the whole day hunting except for a lunch break at home. (9/29/08)

On my last sit I was back in the ground blind where I shot the buck
About six a doe came in at 20 yards but didn't give me a shot,she went back in the woods,a few minutes later she came back out at 45 - 48 yards
(I stepped it off,I have yardage markers out and she was past the 40 yard one)
The shot was a little high but effective,I heard the sound of the Equinox and the arrow hit at the same time it seemed like.
She spun to run and hit a pine tree,she fell down and never got back up.
The arrow hit a tree at a funny angle after passing through and broke in half.
I only had 4 arrows to start with and now 2 are out of commission.Need more arrows.

I figured out how to use the timer on my camera but forgot to put the crossbow in the pic

The bad news

I had to go to mayo for some more test and X rays and MRI
I have been having shoulder pain and it has gotten BAD
Long story short I need a total shoulder replacement
The hits just keep on coming.

The worse news

I go by my parents house because they live right down the road from the doctor and my father expresses his DISPLEASURE in me for hunting and shooting Doe's

He is old school and hunts with deer dogs and in those circles unless it's doe day and you are a child or a girl you dont shoot doe's.

I am CHRUSHED at his disapointment in me.I was so proud to be able to share my hunt with him and he wanted no part of it and I am not in his favor for this kill.

I explained about bow hunting and things being different nowdays,the Bioligist's know what they are doing when setting bag limits.
To no avail.

I dont remember feeling this low as I have done nothing wrong,I am a deer hunter not a horn hunter.
Does MUST be taken from the heard to achieve balance.

Even at 50 I still look for my fathers aproveal

Just thought I would vent.

cayugad 10-01-2008 05:38 PM

RE: Good news / Bad news / worse news

I am very sorry to hear of your additional health concerns. It seems some people never get a brake in that department. You unfortunately are one of those people. All I can say is stay positive, and understand there are family, friends, anda lot of strangers who's lives you have touched that are pulling for you.

As for the deer herds, all States have the right to manage their deer populations in manners they feel correct. That can mean doe hunts, changes in the kind of equipment, and the length of seasons. They need to balance the herds. Without that balance, the herds suffer health problems and can pose a realthreat to motorist. As well as cause damage to the the surrounding habitat.

As for the approval of your father, while all of us like to believe that our actions are supported by our parents, spouse, and friends we can not live our lives according to their expectations. I have little doubt of your honesty and integrity and I feel you would never have taken a doe if you felt for one second your actions would have damaged the deer herd or been illegal. So the consolation is while your father did not wish to acknowledge your accomplishment and share in your enjoyment of the moments, who really lost out? He did in my opinion. Hold your head high, appreciate the opportunity you had to hunt, and simply don't invite him over for venison dinner..:D if that's the way he feels.

Indiana SmokePole 10-01-2008 05:57 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I am very sorry to hear of your additional health concerns. It seems some people never get a brake in that department. You unfortunately are one of those people. All I can say is stay positive, and understand there are family, friends, anda lot of strangers who's lives you have touched that are pulling for you
Scott Nice Doe I would of smoked her also, :) as Cayugad said I am so Sorry to hear about your other probblems , sounds like mine and your luck runs the same when it rains it pours. But you have a ML family here that sends there prayers every day.

As far as your dad , a child no matter how old always looks for their parents approval , and that is out of respect for that parent. I think down inside he is very proud of you , and being a proud man him self will not addmitt to it.

And remmember keep putting that meat in the freezer YUmmmmmmm.

Take care Brother
Ron

saxman1 10-01-2008 06:08 PM

I donated the whole deer to a local family in need and it felt GREAT to do thet.

I stood with the man of the family (an accomplished hunter) and we butcherd the animal and I got a hug from everyone in the family.
God's renewable resourse shared with others,It dont get no better

sjsfire 10-01-2008 07:05 PM

Sorry to hear about your shoulder on top of everything else. Nice eating doe though. I credit friends of mine for me getting into hunting. My dads brother shot my dad in the eye with a BB gun when they were younger. We never had guns around, I was a late bloomer. My parents have been divorced for over 30 years and I haven't spoken to my dad for that long (messy divorce and hard feelings). Be proud of what you harvest.

SuperKirby 10-01-2008 07:23 PM

Congratulations on the deer. I'm pretty sure you were hunting during deer season, not doe season, so no worries there. Not to cut down your dad, but I would much rather put the stalk on or have the patience to sit it out in a stand all day than to have dogs do it for me. Seems to me that's not sporting in the least. That's probably another thread, though.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I know it's hard to keep your head up or look for the positives in things, but remember that God has His hand in all this, so it's all for a reason and it'll work out in the end.

Above all, you fed a family for a couple months, and that's pretty cool. Good job.

Vince

cayugad 10-01-2008 07:51 PM

ORIGINAL: saxman1

I donated the whole deer to a local family in need and it felt GREAT to do thet.

I stood with the man of the family (an accomplished hunter) and we butcherd the animal and I got a hug from everyone in the family.
God's renewable resourse shared with others,It dont get no better
That is a great thing you did. I will bet that the family that received your generous donation are more appreciative them you might really know. Doing act of kindness for others always is a good thing..

corey012778 10-01-2008 08:01 PM

congrats on the doe. I thought you where sna.... deer hunting. or back at work.

burntmuch 10-01-2008 08:10 PM

You harvested an animal, that will feed a family, Whats not to be proud of. I tried making antler stew once, It was tougher than hell. Have a great season;)

bronko22000 10-01-2008 08:54 PM

Sax - I feel the same as the other guys. Sorry about your health issues. My prayers are with you. As for your doe harvest. Congrats. And donating it to a needy family is generous. Some of the older 'hunters' frown on shooting doe. They just don't see the advantages of this management practice.