HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Tips for Encore load please (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/265850-tips-encore-load-please.html)

Kbeaner 10-01-2008 10:57 AM

Tips for Encore load please

I haven't shot my ML in a couple years...the last load I used was 100gr(3 pellets)of 777 under a 250gr ShockWave. I haven't been able to find any ballistic charts for this load and I can't recall where I zeroed in at a few years back. I am planning on zeroing in at 100 yards. I know this modern gun is fully capable of taking deer out to 200yrds, but I am still somewhat of a tradionalist, and that is what my centerfires are for, soI will be taking 100yrd shots or less with my ML.I have just a few 250gr shockwaves, a few hornady lock-n-loads of an unknown grain that I have left over from some test loads, and a few 245gr powerbelts lying around that will be shot up just to get some shooting done. I fully plan on shooting the 250gr shockwaves again, maybe give those superglides a whirl. While Im rambling here...does anyone prime their Encores before shooting? I used to prime the old Knights and my dad's White, but never the Encore, and never had any issues that I can recall. Anyhow Im done rambling and am going to shoot now. thanks for any tips.

-Kevin

SHulion 10-01-2008 11:12 AM

RE: Tips for Encore load please

No need to prime your encore. I would think that if you were using 3 pellets of 777 that it was a 150 gr. equivalent. The new powder of choice seems to be Black Horn 209. This powder along with the 250 gr Shockwave and a Harvester 50/45 cal. short black sabot would be a great combination. I would probably start some where around 90 gr. of the BH209 and work my way up. Work with the different powder charges untill you find the sweet spot. Hope this helps. You may also want to try the Hornady XTP .430 / 300gr bulletwith a Harvester Green Crushed rib sabot since you said that you were going to keep your shots close. I have heard that this is also a good combination. Good luck.

Kbeaner 10-01-2008 12:14 PM

SHulion, you are correct, I meant to hit the "2" button. I shoot two pellets of 777 to get 100gr of powder. where might I get those harvester sabots you mentioned? thanks again.

SHulion 10-01-2008 12:28 PM

www.midsouthshooterssupply.com They should have everything you need. I would buy the 30 pack of the shockwaves and get rid of the sabots that they come with. Replace them with the 50/45 Harvester short black sabots. This set-up should work great. A lot of people are using this load in their T/C muzzleloaders. The key is using it with the BH209 powder. Make sure that you use regular 209 primers. I like the regular Winchester 209's. This is the set-up I am using in my Omega and I'm gettingreally goodgroups.

Hrly69 10-01-2008 03:15 PM

Try 100-110gr BH with a 250gr.barnes TMZ spitfire/w209 primer.Work with this load and I think you'll like it.I've recorded less then 1 MOA 100yrds.

txfireman 10-02-2008 07:02 PM

150 gr Pyrodex and 250 gr. Shockwave