Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Traditions Pursuit II XLT >

Traditions Pursuit II XLT

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions Pursuit II XLT

Old 09-30-2008, 11:01 AM

Default Traditions Pursuit II XLT

Hi everyone , I am new to the forum and a little green about modern muzzle loaders . Just purchased the Pursuit II XLT through a mailordercompany here in Canada . A friend is shooting a similar model Traditions rifle . Can anyone give me a bit of a review on this rifle ? It has an alloy reciever 28 inch fluted / ported barrel . Will this rifle handle the 150 grain loads many shooters speak about ? I plan on using a 240gr -44cal pistol bullet for deer hunting.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Traditions Pursuit II XLT

Yes the rifle will handle 150 grains of pellets, but no loose powder. There really is little need to shoot pellets or 150 grains of pellets as loose powder works just as well or better.

100 grains is normally a good deer load. Although if you're shooting such a light bullet you might want to try 80 grains and see what kind of accuracy you can shoot.

If you want to shoot long range you might look into the Barnes Expanders, Shockwaves, Nosler, Speer Gold Dots, or Parker Extreme. They can take a little more powder.

Also that rifle can shoot Black Horn 209 powder. But Pyrodex RS, Triple Se7en, will work well.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:14 AM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Yes the rifle will handle 150 grains of pellets, but no loose powder. There really is little need to shoot pellets or 150 grains of pellets as loose powder works just as well or better.

100 grains is normally a good deer load. Although if you're shooting such a light bullet you might want to try 80 grains and see what kind of accuracy you can shoot.

If you want to shoot long range you might look into the Barnes Expanders, Shockwaves, Nosler, Speer Gold Dots, or Parker Extreme. They can take a little more powder.

Also that rifle can shoot Black Horn 209 powder. But Pyrodex RS, Triple Se7en, will work well.

X2 Dave has sent you in the right direction !
Old 10-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum! I've heard some good things about the Pursuit, except some have said that it has a heavy trigger. My hunting buddies both use Traditions (though a different model rifle) and have had great success with the .44 (.429) 240 grain XTP and 80 - 90 grains of 777. They've taken a large number of deer with this bullet/load- boom-flops most of the time at ranges from 25 - 150 yards. I would personally recommend using loose powder (777, Pyrodex or BH209) rather than pellets. If you need to use pellets, I would use 2 (100 grains) instead of the 150 grain load. Only thing to do is get out to the range and tinker around some and see what your rifle likes.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't own a Pursuit, but every time I pick up one in a store I think "man, this gunfeels good".
Old 10-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Indiana SmokePole

ORIGINAL: cayugad

X2 Dave has sent you in the right direction !

X's 3
Good advice
Old 11-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I bought one of these a couple months ago. My gun seems to like 120 grains of Triple Seven and a 250 grain Shockwave. If one was going to try some pistol bullets, what size is it you need to use?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

My pursuit xlt extreme loves 100 grains 777 pellets and 240 gr hornaday xtp bullets w/ mmp sabots shoots 1-2 inch groups at 100 yds all day long Trigger does suck only thing I am disappointed with Just feels cheap and not real smooth. My omega trigger is much nicer
Old 11-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

I switched over to 110gr of Blackhorn 209 with a 250gr Barnes T-EZ in my pursuit this year and have been extremely happy with the results. I just took a nice seven pointer and a small four with it this past week and both dropped in their tracks. I was using 150gr of 777 with a 245gr power belt previously.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

Oh yes, I forgot to say that the trigger does suck bad on my gun. I have just gotten used to it and it shoots so well that I dont want to get something different.

Quick Reply: Traditions Pursuit II XLT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.