Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Buck Fever

Old 09-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buck Fever

What a great topic, thanks for thinking of it Cayugad.

Here is my log for the campfire...

Two years ago I went deer hunting for the first time. Still new to BP, I did not feel confident enough with the flintlock and put in for a centerfire tag instead.

So there I was, all by myself, sitting against a mesquite tree with my Ruger 30-06 on my lap, wondering wtf should I be doing now?

The area was actually pretty dense with trees and bush with visibility down to about 60 yards. Feeling kind of tired I let myself doze off for a few minutes.

I woke to hear the sound of something grazing behind me. I could feel a soft thump in the ground when the animal moved.

The deer was behind me and outside of my peripheral vision. I decided to just wait until it came in to view. My heart was pounding, thinking this must be a HUGE buck to make the ground thump like that.

It got closer but still I could not see it.

I got lightheaded as my heart started beating faster. My back felt terribly vulnerable and I desperately wanted to turn and look to see what was behind me. But I dared not for fear of scaring off what must be a trophy sized buck.

The thumping got more intense.

Holy sh!t I didn't know a heart could beat this fast...

and then just as I thought it was going to come in to my field of vision...

...it mooed.

I snapped around only to look right into the face of a damn cow.

It took a good thirty minutes for the shaking to settle down, but I spent most of it having a good laugh

~Robert
Old 09-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's just too funny Robert. GREAT first deer hunt! I can still hear the echo of your heart going THUMP! THUMP!
Old 09-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Dominant Buck

that is a good one Robert.!!!

I was hunting some hardwood hills along the neighbors fence line one deer season. The neighbor was a pig farmer and he often times would call to warn that his pigs got out and were in the back pasture that bordered the property. It was early opening day, and I was sitting with my back to a tree and had my Remington 742 Woodsmaster Carbine 30-06 across my lap. Man it was cold sitting in that early morning shade on that snow covered hill. I was on a hills side watching a large valley where it made a Y figuring the deer would follow the easy way up or down the hill.

I heard a grunting behind me and it was working its way closer to me. I knew the wind was in my favor as it was in my face. And as I sat and listened I finally thought.. the */.*. neighbor's pigs are out, and he will ruin my hunting. So I stood up, turned around, and there stood a large five point buck, looking right at me. Needless to say, he took off running past me and down the Y. I pulled up and ever time he entered the center of that scope I'd pull the trigger. I ended up shooting all five shots. I managed to hit him three times. When he hit the ground, I was so shocked, I could not even walk. I had to sit down on the ground and just sit there. It was an easy drag out to the valley at least.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't killed a ton of deer but I get buck fever over any deer within shooting distance. Last year, I shot a young doe and my heart was racing and I literally thought I was going to pass out becasue my breathing was so erratic. I do not know what would happen if I had a shot at a monster. I hope the feeling never goes away though no matter how many deer I get!
Old 09-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got back from CO and seen this thread-good readin'. I'll throw in my last buck fever story. It was a couple years ago. Headed to the woods for an evening bow hunt. I was still on the ground getting to my stand when a yearling deer caught my eye. She had no idea I was anywhere in the country. She picked a path that would have lead her about 2 yards from me. I let her get to no more than 10 yards. While she had her head down feeding I slowly drew-and can only assume never even aimed. Touched the released and shot about a foot over her back. She took two bounds and turned around and looked at me like what was that noise? At that point I was laughing so hard I just yelled to her. "Sorry, didn't mean to disturb you!" She then bounded out of sight and I plucked my arrow out of the ground and walked home laughing.

My traditional "buck fever" rarely includes the shakes. Almost all game I hunt when I see them my heart beat picks up-especially with turkeys! butI calm down fairly quickly.Most of the time itis a dose of not thinking clearly such as the story above in aiming. Praise God, so far my stunts have not lead to a wounded deer. Hopefully I can keep it that way.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reading these stories again makes me wonder about the real worth of "speed loaders".
Old 09-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Fork Horn

41 years old been, hunting deer since I was 12. Been hunting with the muzzleoader about 5 years now. Last years muzzzy season, I missed a big doe trotting by at 20 yards doing a 3 man push. I was so excited i started pushing another bullet down with out any powder. Duh...3/4 mile walk back to truck, pull out breech plug, push out bullet, reload, don't see anything rest of weekend.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

Well I'll be honest, my breathing gets heavy as though I feel like I'm suffocating every time buck or doe.I was bow hunting one time and had the opportunity to arrow a 12 point bruiser. The shakes were so bad that I dropped my bow within inches of hitting this brute beforeI could draw. The deer bolted and non the less the BUCK FEVER left and every swear word I could muster up came naturally.I can still see him looking up at me and seeing me shake like a scardy cat.