Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Omega Accuracy Issues >

Omega Accuracy Issues

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega Accuracy Issues

Old 09-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Omega Accuracy Issues

http://www.hunting.net/forum/tm.aspx?m=3020888&mpage=6&key=

The above post is where Sabotloader and I left off on my Omega. Starting another post to get more idears.

So I tried one shim on the front block and was able to get the dollar bill to slide about half way back. I added the second shim to the front block and the dollar bill slid all the way back. So it was completely floated. Only issue I have is that the angle is pretty steep. I'd be kind of worried about the stock. Also the screws that hold the barrel to the stock would be at a decent angle.

I left a message with TC today and never heard from them. I even called and didn't hear from anyone yet. I've had this rifle for three seasons now and have never gotten it to group well past 50 yards. No matter what I've fed it.

Any thoughts?

Tom
Old 09-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Omega Accuracy Issues

statjunk

Just sent you a PM...
Old 09-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

I did the same thing with my Omega. I put two shims under the first block to get the height I needed to fully float the barrel and two under the rear block to make everything level.The dollar bill will easily slide back to the first recoil lug.I had a chance to shoot it this past weekend and it shot great. I was shooting 77gr/weight BH209 with a Harvester Short Black sabot and a 250gr Shockwave. This is the load everyone istalking about in their Triumphs. I was getting 1 inch groups at 100 yards and I think the gun will do better if the shooter does his job and the wind will cooperate (10 - 15 mph winds). I checked the screws when I got home and everything was still tight. Nothing had moved.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

I was just reading your other post where you stated that the sides of the stock were still touching the barrel. I had this problem also. I took some sand paper and lightly sanded the inside of each side of the stock untill I got full clearance from the barrel. Then I took some 2000 grit sand paper (I think) and smoothed it down. It looks fine. You will not have to remove much material. Just make sure that you keep checking and stop as soon as you get full clearance. Hope all of this helps.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK, I have not been following your issue but bear with me. I've had a lot of experience accurizing an Omega.

1) What is that stock made of? I have on of the original laminate wood stocks, which is what I have accurized. Yours looks synthetic? That will make it harder to work on...

2) Is the action completely out of contact with the stock between the recoil lugs? It looks like a big cavity there.

So here is my issue with what's been done so far. Just my opinion, take it for what its worth

A gun's accuracy depends in part on how repeatable the things that happen after each shot are. By trying to shim the action to relieve pressure on the barrel, you are ruining the contact between the action and the stock. It may seem solid but, especially since you describe a significant angle and canted action screws, I'm pretty certain this contact is messed up. For certain, you are placing strain on the action.

If I were you, and you really want to fix this gun, I'd do the following:

1) Remove the shims and put it back together as it was supplied to you.
2) Whether with sand paper (if it works on that stock) or a power tool, carefull sand the barrel channel until the barrel is fully floated back to the front recoil lug.
3) Shoot a 200gr SW at 90, 100, and 110 gr powder for group. If it shoots well, stop. If not, go to step 4. The reason I recommend this bullet is I have tried it in multiple Omegas and it has shot well in each in this charge range.
4) Install action pillars. I bought some Remington 700 pillars and cut them to length with a hacksaw, but any aluminum tubing from the hardware store will work. Some have used those steel threaded pieces used to run wires through in lamps successfully. If you use non-threaded tube, you'll need to drill a hold to enlarge the current action screw holes out to the tube diameter, cut the tubes so they are flush against the lug on the inside and flush with the stock or slightly recessed on the outside (if recessed you can enlarge the hole slightly so the screw heads are recessed when inserted).Epoxy those pillars in, from the outside so no epoxy reaches the inside, and let dry with action screwed in tightly so it sets up in the right orientation. If you use threaded pillars, you'll have to screw them into the stock and drill accordingly for that. All depends what you use. The goal here is that you now have metal-metal contact and each time you screw the action in the screws will stop HARD on the pillars the same way each time.
5) Shoot as suggested above. If still not good, proceed to step 6.
6) Bed the whole action from the back of the receiver to the front recoil lug. I recommend ProBed-2000. I cannot give you exact instruction on this as it depends on the design of your stock. The ramrod channel can be an issue, but you use clay to fill in the parts you don't want filled like that so it's doable. Basically, you will grind out (dremel is great) at least 1/8" of material in EVERY place the stock touches the action except those shiny new pillars (including all around the pillars. You then fill in everything with epoxy to create a nice, uniform bed that conforms exactly to the action shape to lock everything in solid. Mine is so tight that the action can only be removed with two hands to pull the lugs straight up out of their beds. Any cant and it won't come out, it's awesome.
7) Shoot it again. If it still does not work, try 2-3 other bullets. If that doesn't work, your barrel is CRAP because you have fixed everything else that could be the source of the problem.

When I started with my Omega, it was a 1.5 MOA gun and POI changed with action screw tightness. Now I can shoot it sub-MOA to 200 yds and MOA to 400 yds and it will return to zero nicely even if I pull the action from stock and put it back in.

Nothing I have suggested can make anything works. No guarantee it will be better either but this is what you do to accurize the gun.

If you decide to go this route, PM me and I can help you some more.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Has anyone sanded a synthetic stock? Secifically the camo one.

Thanks

Tom
Old 09-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Thanks

Tom
Spaniel offers you all that and this is all you say?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

The stock that I sanded was the regular(not thumbhole) camoflauge synthetic stock.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigmossy

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Thanks

Tom
Spaniel offers you all that and this is all you say?
You're a newbie but you're right. Thanks to all that posted on my behalf. I very much appreciate the help with this matter. Spaniel, Thanks for the long post.

This post is a continuation of the previous post and somewhere along the way I forgot my manners.

SHulion,

Thanks for responding I may add one shim and get to sanding. I've floated barrels before but they were lamanate or wood stocks.

Tom
Old 09-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

I think I am going to take the shims out and try sanding the stock untill the barrel if completely floated. I think I would feel better with both recoil lugs sitting completely in the bedding blocks. I don't think I'll have to do much more sanding.

Quick Reply: Omega Accuracy Issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.