HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Red Dot Or Regular Scope On Cva Kodiac Pro (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/263060-red-dot-regular-scope-cva-kodiac-pro.html)

Bullseye23 09-14-2008 07:56 AM

Red Dot Or Regular Scope On Cva Kodiac Pro

Hello guys i am looking at a red dot scope for my cva kodiac pro 45 cal muzzleloader. i was wondering if this is the way to go or should i just use a regular scope? i will prob not shoot any thing over 120 yards with this gun. Eithier way red dot or regular scope what should i put on my gun? Also what is a good brand for both sights?

thanks

sabotloader 09-14-2008 08:37 AM

RE: Red Dot Or Regular Scope On Cva Kodiac Pro

Bullseye23

Personally, i tried the red-dot for awhile and switched back to a scope... the dot really was nice at close ranges and speed shooting but I just never got comfortable with it... sold to a student of mine to put on his paint ball gun.

BUT, there are people that love em.... it might realy work for you.

sjsfire 09-14-2008 08:41 AM

I would go with the regular scope. I have 3 Nikon Pro Staff 2x7x32 and 1 Bushnell 1.5x4x32 on various slug guns and muzzleloaders. The Nikons can be bought all day long for $125 plus tax and shipping unless you have a store close to you. I've never owned a red dot, some like them some not so much. The biggest complaint I heard was talk of a "tail" coming off the dot in low light situations. But thats all I know about them

Indiana SmokePole 09-14-2008 09:27 AM

Bullseye

Most deff. go with a regular scope you will be glad you did.

cayugad 09-14-2008 10:16 AM

I have two inlines with RED DOTs. They are the Bushnell Trophy models. While (as mentioned) they are great for short range, remember even with a 3MOA dot, that only means it will shoot a 3" group at 100 yards. Now lets guess that the next time you shoot, your dot is not in the same place as the last, so now you have stretched that 3 inch dot to much more.

Another disadvantage of the RED DOTs are most are 20mm. That does not let in a lot of light. So granted at dusk you have a red dot to aim off of, but what good does that do you when you can not make out the animal you're shooting at, in the late afternoon shadows. Some say, shoot with both eyes open. Tried it, and it does help. Also as the shadows grow, the dot grows a half moon tail. You just ignore the half moon tail.

I consider my RED DOTs a 75 yard rifle and no more. That is just a standard I set for myself in the accuracy department. We are not allowed magnification so I went to a 1x scope and the difference is like night and day. A much better set up.

If you are allowed magnification, get a scope that gives you good light gathering, and a nice clear picture. 125 yards shots could be done with a simple 4x but I personally like the 2-7x32mm. I have them in Nikon Pro Staffs, and a 3200 Bushnell Elite.

All my shots are close. So I have been shooting with a 2.5x and a 4x Simmons and they seem to do the job as well. But I would put a scope hands high,over a red dot for accuracy and light gathering.

During the modern season I will hunt with a magnified scope. During black powder season, I will use a Nikon or T/C 1x.

Bullseye23 09-14-2008 10:26 AM

alright thanks alot sounds like ill be getting a scope... what is a good begginer scope?

cayugad 09-14-2008 10:40 AM

I really like a Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm or a Bushnell 3200 elite 2-7x32mm. I find that they draw excellent light, excellent clarity, are tuff as nails, and for shooing out to 150 yards have all the magnification you need. Plus they are a short scope so most times you do not have to remove the rear sight. If you mount them on Warne QD rings, you can take them on and off, and use the actual rifle sights if you need to. Plus they are reasonable in price.

They both have excellent eye relief and seem to bemade for shotguns and muzzlelaoders. A friend of mine that owns a gun shop recommended the Nikon when he could have some be a more expensive scope. He told me I would love the thing and never regret the purchase. So far, he was right. Granted they do not have the BDC in the models I use, I still have no problems with the long shots. Nikon does make a Pro Staff with the BDC though.

sabotloader 09-14-2008 10:49 AM

cayugad

You know that i am a Bushnell 3200 fan - got em on everthing but I just got one of these in the mail this week to test... It really looks good - wish it had the "rain guard" lens - then I would really be set.

This might really be the ML scope for everyone... but the one I am testing is a 3x9x40

http://www.leupold.com/_pdfs/ultimateslam_2_7x33_specsheet.pdf

cayugad 09-14-2008 11:12 AM

WOW!! I like the specs on that Leupold. What kind of damage do they do on the pocketbook for something like that? I really do not need a BDC though, if I hunt the hay field I might get a 200 yard shot, but I doubt it. The deer would have to make it from the woods across that field first, and that is just not going to happen in my book.. :D

sabotloader 09-14-2008 11:33 AM

cayugad

On line the 3x9 is about $260 shipped to your door...

You know most of my scopes have a ballistic reticule - and it is nice to now that it is there if I wanted to use it - but I also sight the gun at a 6" point blank range - so most often I do not need it - but i do shoot at 200 just to see what line I would need to use if I chose the take that shot...

The other nice thing once you figer it out - the scope and reticule can be used as a range finder - close enough for hunting use.

It really is a beautiful scope - really looks like a real high dollar Leupold and carries the same warranty for life.