Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Iron Sight Problem >

Iron Sight Problem

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Iron Sight Problem

Old 09-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Spike

Default Iron Sight Problem

I just got my first muzzleloader, a remington genesis, and after a few range sessions I am finally putting some groups together. My problem now is that at 100 yds I feel that I'm about as accurate as I can get (pie plate groups) because of my sight. My front bead covers the whole seven ring which is about the size of a pie plate. I just don't think I can be more accurate if I can't aim any smaller than that. So my question is are there any good aftermarket sights I could pick up that will work better, or maybe just a smaller diameter front sight?

Thanks for any help,
Joe
Old 09-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Iron Sight Problem

A smaller bead type front sight may help, also a peep rear sight would probably help. It sounds like you are placing the front sightover the center of the target, is that correct? Many find that a 6 o'clock hold gives them a better sight picture and thus better accuracy.The 6 o'clock hold is bassically putting the desired point of impact just on top of the front sight so that you can just see where you want the bullet to go. That way you can center the POI on the sights instead of behind them. Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like he said. 6 O'clock hold if you stay with those sights. A peep sight with a smaller bead will help. If you want, go to a scope.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:55 AM

6 O'clock Hold

X3
Old 09-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Dominant Buck

I was running into the same problems. What I did was start sighting in so that the HIT (if I can call it that) made a 8 with the front sight. This is the six o'clock hold. I use it because you never cover your target or game. You place it so the projectile will not hit where the front sight rests, but just above it. Then on game for instance, you can place the sight picture with the front sight on the lower kill area and throw the projectile into the middle. On your paper plate, you aim so the plate is just in the sight. The projectile hits high and it lands in the center. Because you can see your target.

With this type of aim, I shoot at the bulls eye at 50 yards and the projectile hits about two inches high over the bull. At 100 yards, I aim at the bull and it hits right on top of the sight.

Other options are peep sights, but you still run into that problem. Now Lyman makes a front sight with appatures that you can put in that actually look like cross hairs, or posts.. I have the same problems as you. On some of my rifles, since it is legal, I went with a 1X scope.