Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shooting Muzzle loader $$ >

Shooting Muzzle loader $$

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting Muzzle loader $$

Old 09-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shooting Muzzle loader $$

I'm going to take Sabatloaders advice and go with the .452 Speer Gold Dots at 250gr. So according to Cayugad I need the black sabots. So are all black sabots appropriate? I'm sure there are different brands. Whichbrand would you all recommend? Is crushed rib sabot that Cayugad mentions is that a brand? Also I notice you guys saying that you shoot 777-2f. What is the 2f or ff or whatever that means? Are there different levels of 777? I will also be getting a volume measuring tool. Can you guys recommend a good one? I'm also going to need a tool to pour it into the volume tool. Can you recommend one of those?
Hey Statjunk, I think you've made a good call. Gold Dot 250's are an excellent bullet. The two main sabot producers are MMP and Harvester. You should take a look at their web sites to get an idea of what they produce. MMP ishttp://www.mmpsabots.com/, and Harvester is http://www.harvesterbullets.com/sabots.htm. For the 45 caliber, 250 grain Gold Dots you need a 50 caliber sabot for 45 caliber bullets.
I've had the best luck with the Harvester short black high pressure sabots - their "50 Cal. Short Sabot for 45 Caliber 300 Gr. or Lighter Bullets", followed closely by their crush rib sabots. But every gun is different and different sabots can make a significant difference is accuracy and/or loading difficulty.

With respect to 2F vs. 3F powder, it has to do with the size of the powder granules, with 3F being a finer granule than 2F. The powder is the same formula regardless of granule size. The finer powder tends to ignite easire, burn faster, and develop slightly higer pressure. Some guns like 2F better. Some like 3F. Some don't seem to care. In Pyrodex, the Pyrodex P (pistol) is finer than Pyrodex RS (rifle/shotgun), and Pyrodex Select has the largest granule and they are more consistent in size than the others.

Just about any volume measure will do the job. I like this one. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=714741 You can usually find them - or a similar one -cheaper at Walmart. The best thing going for pouring from the powder canister to the measure is a cap like this (also usually available at Walmart - there are several styles and makers) http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=118743

Having fun yet???

Old 09-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks so much for posting the links that was a big help.

Accuracy with these muzzloaders is a complicated business. Well I going to order it all up tomorrow and pick up the 777 2f tomorrow. I guess I'll be testing Sabotloaders setup to see if there is any consistency across rifles.

Thanks to everyone that responded I was at wits end.

Thanks

Tom
Old 09-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

clearance pyrodex and a maxi ball mould will get you some cheap shooting. maybe try some round balls or buffalo ballets. save the fancy bullets for hunting.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

statjunk

How old or new is your Omega? If it is the older variety -then you do want the Harvester short black or the MMP HPH-24 - both are black. I my self shoot the MMP but have the Harvester short blacks and eve ntheir long blacks.

If you Omega is a newer one with a tight TC bore you will the MMM-3p-EZ load or the Harvester "Crush Rib"

You will over time collect a bunch of small tools that make ML shooting easier....

Here is my method for making damp patches for the Omega... For some reason I do not get the famous "crud ring" in my Omega but these patches will take of any excessive fouling from T7

If I/we can help with any thing else give a shout...

mike
Old 09-10-2008, 06:39 AM
Spike

Hey, great thread and great responses! I've picked up a few things from it!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

statjunk

How old or new is your Omega? If it is the older variety -then you do want the Harvester short black or the MMP HPH-24 - both are black. I my self shoot the MMP but have the Harvester short blacks and eve ntheir long blacks.

If you Omega is a newer one with a tight TC bore you will the MMM-3p-EZ load or the Harvester "Crush Rib"

You will over time collect a bunch of small tools that make ML shooting easier....
Sabotloader,

My Omega is three years old. The 245gr Powerbelts slide down the barrel super easy. The 250gr Shockwaves with the yellow sabots slide down relatively easy but are harder to push than the Power belts.

So which Sabot should I go with?

Also I use the one Cayugad suggests with the summer blend windshield washer fluid and 90% rubbing alcohol. They are likely on par right?

The volume measuring tool in the link above kind of looks fragile. Is it? Can someone supply another option so I can compare features?

Thanks for all the tips I'm going to order today if I can get some answers. Would love to get out to the range this weekend.

Tom
Old 09-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

The volume measuring tool in the link above kind of looks fragile. Is it? Can someone supply another option so I can compare features?
Nothing fragile about it. There are several different styles out there - take your pick.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?t=82579&pageNum=0&tabI d=5&categoryId=19636&categoryString=10635***

Old 09-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Nothing fragile about it. There are several different styles out there - take your pick.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?t=82579&pageNum=0&tabI d=5&categoryId=19636&categoryString=10635***

Semisane,

How many charges can this container hold?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=118743

I'd like a thing to bring to the range to load my muzzle loader over and over again.

Also I used to put the pellets in a ziploc bag what am I going to use to carry one shot charges in the field?

I have twice in my life fired a second shot to take a deer with a muzzloader and would not want to have to fool with measuring powder.

Sabatloader can you comment on the above?

Thanks

Tom
Old 09-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

statjunk

My Omega is three years old. The 245gr Powerbelts slide down the barrel super easy. The 250gr Shockwaves with the yellow sabots slide down relatively easy but are harder to push than the Power belts.
The yellow "super glide" is a MMP HPH-3p-EZ load sabot... When I get to this part about recommneding sabot I always think of the phrase the "CHAP" uses but I can not think of a way to actually describe it - "snug but not to tight" - for me I usually judge by the presssureI have to put on the ram rod... If it only takes one hand to seat - it is to loose - if it takes both hands but is a stuggle it is to tight... For me it should take two with constant pressure down the barrel.

The Harvester "crush rib" MIGHT be just a tad tighter - but form the sounds of it I bet you need the HPH-24 or the regular Harvester either short black of regular length....

PM me with an address - I'll send you a few of each....

Also I use the one Cayugad suggests with the summer blend windshield washer fluid and 90% rubbing alcohol. They are likely on par right?
They really are pretty darn close problably... but it is another one of those things I am totally biased on, so weigh this inyour thoughts.... I prefer the windex with ammonia because it is somewhat of a solvent for oils and it also strips clean metal + it is a speedy evaporator. It virtually melts T7. In one shooting session i wil use one windex patch for several shots - it just keeps on working - a couple of weeks i shot a 12 shot session of T7 from my Knight used one windex - one dry patch at the beginning then the same windex patch the rest of the session- most of the time there is no need for a drying patch - if you get the correct dampness on the patch - when you experiment you will find out what I am talking about. When your done at the range it will take 3 windex patches both sides to come out with a relativly clean patch - then follow that with one slightly oiled patch - protects the barrel - till you really clean it...

This the one that i use - think I have two or 3 of them around...

It is really solid and I like it - for what ever that means....
http://www.grafs.com/product/200591

Get one of these also if you can...

They make this one which is solid and they also make one that spins - I like it better but this one will work.... The log shank allows the patch to slip in the bore easier plus it is recessed to allow loading on any type bullet.

If you shoot a lot and do not have a range rod - think about a Tipton - great rod has a rotating handle so you really do not need the rotating jag. Expensive but worth it in my mind.... They are carbon fiber - easy deasy on the bore and the crown of the barrel

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/tipton/catalog.asp?family=deluxe-cleaning-rods

Better git off - I have used a lot of room and I am suppose to be taking care of my 11 mo grand daughter she is here in the house someplace... better go find her.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane, How many charges can this container hold? http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=118743
That's not a container statjunk. It's a funnel top that screws on the top of your canister of powder so that you can pour from the canister into your powder measure. If you want to pre-measure loads at home and bring them to the range or in the fieldready to use, get some powder tubes fromLane Nebraska (one of our forum Members). They're the best thing out there.

He has them on e-bay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170259489 427&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=007) but if you deal directly from him by e-mail from this forum you will save the e-bay cover charge. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/showprofile.aspx?memid=74400#

Quick Reply: Shooting Muzzle loader $$

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.