HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Lee r.e.a.l. bullets (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/261550-lee-r-e-l-bullets.html)

Jim22 09-05-2008 12:35 PM

Lee r.e.a.l. bullets

Anyone know who, if anybody, sells these bullets in 50 cal? I have moulds and a melter but for the life of me can not get them to turn out right. Thanks.

bronko22000 09-05-2008 12:49 PM

RE: Lee r.e.a.l. bullets

JIM - I do not believe anyone mass produces and sells the REAL bullet. You are saying they don't come out right. Please explain. A lot of us cast our own bullets and can probably help you. What kind of melter do you have? Bottom pour or do you ladle the lead out?
Give us some more detail.

Anyway some common problems come from the mould not being hot enough. Or the lead not hot enough. (or being too hot).
Get some wooden matches and burn the bullet cavity in the mould to get it sooty. As the lead in the pot begins to melt, place the corner of the mould into the molten lead to warm it up.
Your first few bullets may have wrinkles on them but this is normal and just set them on the side. As you continue to cast these will disappear. When pouring, be sure to fill the cavity all the way up to allow for shrinkage as the lead cools.

Also, at the end of a casting session, I like to leave my mould filled. I do not take out the last poured bullets from the mould.

lonewolf5348 09-05-2008 01:15 PM

dave: may know if bill over at blackjack hill is still casting REALS

Jim22 09-05-2008 02:40 PM

lonewolf: He was a few months ago but I think he's in the process of moving from Florida to Utah and not casting yet. I know his web site has expired and he's not advertising on ebay like he was.

bronko: I'm using a Lee Production Pot, bottom pour. Followed all the instructions that came with the pot, the mold, and in Richard Lee's Reloading book. Get bad bad wrinkes. Anyhow while doing something else a few minutes ago I ran across a sheet of paper that came with a T/C mould I used to have and according to it my mould is not hot enough or the metal is not hot enough or both. In my case it's probably both. I know the instructions said to melt on position 7 then turn down to around position 6 which should be around 600 degrees. I don't have a termometer so it's just taking their word for it. Anyhow, I think I'll turn up the heat and keep trying. Two questions though if you don't mind. How dark do you smoke the cavities and second, how fast do you pour the lead into the mold? I need to practice raising the knob as it comes out pretty fast . Thanks.

cayugad 09-05-2008 02:44 PM

Last I heard, Bill got re-married and moved to Utah. I have not heard from him in a long time. So I have no idea who might cast and sell REAL conicals. Perhaps you can find someone that casts them and see if they would sell or send you some to try...

lonewolf5348 09-05-2008 03:55 PM

Jim: i sent a email to a guy who I buy my cast lead bullets 38-55 45-70
I will let you know if he does cast reals I have to say he does a excellent cast job and he prices are A.O.K.

frontier gander 09-05-2008 04:06 PM

i put my lead into a metal cup and set it on an coleman stove and turn it all the way up while the mold heats slowly on the other burner. Casted some of the prettiest balls last week.

Get your lead HOT and make sure you are skimming off the crap that floats to the top.

A little chunk of candle wax also helps clean the lead.

idahoron 09-09-2008 08:10 PM

it sounds like the mould needs to be cleaned GOOD with degreaserand the lead and mould needs to be hotter. I make REAL's and to be honest they are very easy to make and look good.Another thing make sure your pot is pouring fast enough. If it is trickling you won't pour good bullets. The lead should come out FAST and should be hot enough to have a puddle on the top for a second or so. If it is trickling use a tiny nail and pliers to open the hole. Raise the handle and shove the nail up and clean it out.Clean the mould with a degreaser, and lightlysmoke it with a lighter. When your lead is hot dip the corner of the mould into the lead for a couple of minutes and start to pour bullets. Ron

Jim22 09-10-2008 11:16 AM

Thanks for the information. I will clean my mold and melter and try again. I was able to cast a few 250 grain r.e.a.l.s that don't look too bad.

johnny2 09-10-2008 02:20 PM

Jim,

One thing I didn't see mentioned is..keep any liquids away from your pot.
A tiny drop of water will cause a violent explosion .....Be careful....

I found if the bottom spout starts plugging,your probably not hot enough.

What are you using for alloy? That sometimes makes a big difference
in what your bullets will look like..I use a small propane touch to heat
my molds.It gets the oils,etc out of it.But don't over heat,you could warp
it and then its junk...You want to fill the mold full and let it run over
some to get a good sprue on top of the mold...Practice[:-][:-],practice[:'(][:'(] and more
practice....[X(][X(][X(][X(]