Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 searchs for something and got this >

searchs for something and got this

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

searchs for something and got this

Old 09-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default searchs for something and got this

don't know if this was posted or not.

www.ndd.uscourts.gov/dndopinions/html/4-06-cv-08-247.pdf+powerbelt+bullets+wholesale&hl=en& ct=clnk&cd=20&gl=us]http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:d6DmO3yssDkJ:www.ndd.uscourts.gov/dndopinions/html/4-06-cv-08-247.pdf+powerbelt+bullets+wholesale&hl=en& ct=clnk&cd=20&gl=us[/url]

it scared me a little.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:23 PM

Default RE: searchs for something and got this

They arent to bright are they?

"Powell opined that the bulletwas defective in design because the design of its copper coating and polymer skirt led to an increase in barrel pressure"

No chit?!! Wow and i guess a patch or a sabot eliminate this increase in barrel pressure?!!

Old 09-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I did not closely read all of that but I sure would like to know the truth of what made that barrel blow.

I have a friend that accidently double powdered a Renegade once. So there was about 180 grains of 2f powder in it. He seated a ball and realized by the ramrod, something was wrong. He told me he fired that ball out anyway, and while the recoil was stiff, it never hurt the rifle at all.

Did I read this right and this fellow was using APP powder? It must have blown near the breech in order to damage his hand that bad. But I could not see a powerbelt doing something like that or being the cause. Even if it were loaded upside down, as they are a somewhat slip fit.

Like I said, lots of "experts" but not a lot of facts...

Still, that is a good reminder that these rifles are dangerous. You are technically making a pipe bomb that should fail. I wonder if he shot at a deer and reloaded, and in the heat of the moment over loaded, or what...

Good job Corey!!
Old 09-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

i did that dumb thing, loaded twice in my Renegade 54. 90 grs pyro ff maxiball and another 90 grs pyro and maxiball. pulled the trigger! well it kicked like a mule on my shoulder. broke the spring in perc lock only damage cept the target had 2 holes within 2" of each other at 50 yds. i learned my lesson of replying to ppl while loading my ML's.[&o]
Old 09-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

That type of an explosion can only be one of two things, either a detonation or a barrel obstruction; In this case their is evidence of a barrel obstruction of file hardness of materail. Lee
Old 09-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my research and testing (altough limited) I have found it very difficult to explode a properly loaded barrel but not all that difficult to damage or explode an improperly loaded barrel. Short of a serious flaw in the barrel it is far more plausable that the cause was barrel obstruction, either a short started bullet or something else that got into the barrel. I would like to know the final outcome of the case if someone comes across it.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Since it was a powerbelt... and this is just a thought as they never move off the charge on me..

Perhaps he reloaed with the powerbelt, walked around all day, put the rifle in the trunk, all the bouncing around moved the powerbelt off the load, he never checked the load before he fired to clear it, and since the powerbelts was off the load, he had a big air space and a technically, barrel obstruction. That would account for why the rifle blew near the breech where his hand was, and why the load failed to move the projectile properly up the barrel..

I'm not a firearms expert, but if someone asked me what I thought happened, that would be my reply.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Since it was a powerbelt... and this is just a thought as they never move off the charge on me..

Perhaps he reloaed with the powerbelt, walked around all day, put the rifle in the trunk, all the bouncing around moved the powerbelt off the load, he never checked the load before he fired to clear it, and since the powerbelts was off the load, he had a big air space and a technically, barrel obstruction. That would account for why the rifle blew near the breech where his hand was, and why the load failed to move the projectile properly up the barrel..

I'm not a firearms expert, but if someone asked me what I thought happened, that would be my reply.
I'll buy that. This is actually a big fear of mine. That's why several times througout the day I run my ramrod down the barrel to see if it's still on the charge. I can't ever remember having one move off of it, but it only takes one time...
Old 09-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Dominant Buck

My hunting friends think I am nuts, we stop for something when hunting, and I pull the ramrod and check the load. I will do that four times a day or more. Never had one off yet, but do not intend to...

As I mentioned, it is all I could think of that MIGHT have happened.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:54 AM

I will have to go along with Dave on this one.....That was my thought when I read the story..
All day in the truck rattling around,the bullet was probably half way down the barrel..
This guy aint going to confess what happened..My other thought was he was using
smokeless powder.....I was in a shop one time.A guy came in,said he wanted some
black powder.The owner was going to sell him some 2400 powder....hE NEVER knew the
difference until I spoke up.......Way people are so stupid,i'll never know.....

I think one of the dumbest things is when they came out with the new savage smokeless
rifle....people will read this and try it in their own rifle....Savage should recall all them
rifles......But what do I know....Like the guy that loaded red dot in the 243 and blinded his daughter...........talk about dumb and dumber...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.