HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   white rifles (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/260450-white-rifles.html)

gregrn43 08-30-2008 02:05 AM

white rifles

just wondering if anybody out there still shoots the white shooting systems rifles. i have a G series .50 cal. was wondering if could be changed over to use 209 primers?

Indiana SmokePole 08-30-2008 07:54 AM

RE: white rifles

There are a few that still shoot the White Rifles BUT
finding a 209 convertion system may be kinda hard , [X(]

Nimrodder 08-30-2008 08:48 AM

Yep I have 4. 2 White S91's, onein .504 and the other in.451. 2 White Lightnings in .504. All 4 of mine are set up up with the #11 nipple. The White Rifles website is up again, they might have some 209 kits left.

cayugad 08-30-2008 08:53 AM

I have a 209 system for my Model 97 (thatI do not use)and I do think it would fit the G series White as they breech plugs can be changed out. BUT I am not sure if the hammer would work. The 209 does take a special hammer. Why not email White Rifles and see if they have a converter kit. Or if it can even be done. I was told they are back up and running with parts..

Personally I would just shoot the #11 cap. If you shoot loose powder, that #11 system is all you need. Just make sure to use a quality cap like the RWS, CCI magnum, or the Remington 40% hotter #11 cap. They all work on my Whites and I have shot them in all kinds of weather with little problems.

Also making sure the rifle is ready to shoot is very important. Swab that barrel, pop a couple #11 caps through the breech plug first, then load. After that, the rifle shoot fine. Also if you have a rifle where the #11 fits real tight, take some Emory paper and polish that nipple just a little down so the caps fit tight, but fit all the way onto the nipple snout. Actually a #11 cap is a lot more weather proof then you might think.

Underclocked 08-30-2008 09:38 AM

Lot's of us still shoot Whites.:D My advise is to forget the 209 idea so far as your G-Series. Too much flash and blowback - more often than not.

sabotloader 08-30-2008 09:53 AM

gregrn43

I have a White M97 U-Mag and the 209 breech plug is all I shoot from it. There certainly is some blow back from the powder charge but I do not think it is that much more than a #11 breech plug.

Cayugad is correct you will probably need a different hammer also as you need a pin in the end of the hammer.

I think if you shoot a White, and I am not all that familiar with the G series you are going to need some sort of scope protection if you are mounting a scope.

I just wrap mine is a camo cloth and it works just fine...

cascadedad 08-30-2008 02:30 PM

That's an ugly stock you have there Mike. Are you saving the purty one for a special occasion??? :D

cayugad 08-30-2008 02:45 PM

I happen to be VERY FONDof that stock he has there. I like them. A bit heavy mind you, but they soak up the recoil like mad. I have that same on my White Ultra Mag .503 and my White M97 .451. I bet you're one of them black plastic type there Cascadedad... :D:D:D

cascadedad 08-30-2008 05:29 PM

Dave, I was just funnin with Mike. He's got that ugly (pretty), one-of-a-kind camo stocks that everyone likes to give them a hard time about. Maybe he can post a picture of it to show it off a little....

cayugad 08-30-2008 05:39 PM

Casacadedad I knew you were kidding but I had to give you a little grief and tease you... You must mean that Jackson Pollock style one he has... or is that on one of his Omega's. That man has so many rifles I lost track of all of them.