Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Finally found some Goex >

Finally found some Goex

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finally found some Goex

Old 08-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Finally found some Goex

YEAH!!!!!!!
My friends found some Goex BP for me 3F & 4F
This will be used in my Lyman Deerstalker Flintlock 1:48 twist 50 cal
Can you guys help me with load and bullet considerations and also how much 4F to put in the pan and things like that.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Finally found some Goex

Anywhere from 75-100 grains with a patched .490 ball for a hunting load...40-60 for targets...

How much in the pan kinda depends on where the touchole is...If it's high (covered by the heel of the frizzen when closed) then you can fill the pan up...If not, then start with half a pan and see how fast ignition is...

A word of warning...A flintlock can go off with no prime in the pan...So if you are going to check the frizzen for sparks, do it before you load it...
Old 08-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Dominant Buck

nchawkeye is right on the money there... my little pan flask puts in three grains of powder. I put my prime to the outside edge of the pan, but you just have to play with it.

Start your roundball with 75 grains of that 3f and see what happens... good luck
Old 08-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of patch do I use?
Old 08-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I personally like a 100% cotton pillow tick. I go to wal mart and get a yard of fabric. Just ask them for the blue or red stripe pillow tick. Then wash that in the laundry and hang it out somewhere to dry.

After it is dry, it makes a great patch and you can tear strips of it off like nothing. No cutting necessary. Then seat the ball on the patch strip right at the muzzle and cut the patch away from it all with a patch knife. You then get a perfect centered patch.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave
Sorry to keep buggin ya.
What size strips do I cut the PT into. 1" - 2" -3"
Do I pus the ball in flush with the muzzle before I cut the excess.
Do I lube this patch? if so with what?
Can I buy precut PT Patches?
Are there any conicals you could recomend like the TC maxi balls or I hear some tals about the Bullshops.
I am a sponge for knowldge

This will be my first time with a flinter
Old 08-27-2008, 06:05 PM

Thats whats bad about cutting at the muzzle. Great if you are using spit and target shooting, but for hunting you want some real lube on the patch and its darn right messy to have a pregreased strip of pillow ticking and having to cut at the muzzle.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: saxman1

Dave
Sorry to keep buggin ya.
What size strips do I cut the PT into. 1" - 2" -3"
Do I pus the ball in flush with the muzzle before I cut the excess.
Do I lube this patch? if so with what?
Can I buy precut PT Patches?
Are there any conicals you could recomend like the TC maxi balls or I hear some tals about the Bullshops.
I am a sponge for knowldge

This will be my first time with a flinter
Yes there are pre lubed pillow tick patches you can buy. I have some around here that I never shoot. Although they are old, and old patches can go bad. What I do is easy... I use a moose milk formula I spritz on the strip of pillow tick.

A general purpose black powder solvent and liquid patch lube. Shake well before using

Castor Oil 4 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 3 or4 oz.
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated) 16 oz.
Just mix those things in a plastic soda bottle and you have patch lube for over a year. Shake it good and transfer small amounts to a spritz bottle like.. Off Bug Spray.

The tick stripis about two inches wide and three feet long (since I boughta yard of it). Like I said, I spritz that cloth so it is not soggy but it is damp/wet. You can also dip that cloth and let it dry and then you have a dry patch to shoot which is impregnated with oil.

Lay that strip over the muzzle and then set the ball on the patch over the muzzle. With the short end of the short starter, drive the ball under the muzzle. Now take a knife, scissors or patch knife and cut the material off the top of the ball. Now finish setting the ball and sending it down to the powder charge. You have a perfect centered ball every time this way and very cheap patch material. You will also find that you do not need to swab the barrel when you shoot patch and ball this way, as the damp patch cleans the old fowling.

Some conicals that should shoot well are maxiball, and even powerbelts. I shoot powerbelts out of my Trade Rifle with great accuracy. I have no .54 caliber Bull Shop conicals anymore to try in the Trade Rifle.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks dave & FG
Old 08-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Frontier Gander, if you soak a strip, ring it out, and the dry it on some old window screen, the oil will stay in it, you carry it in a zip lock bag, and it is still easy to hunt with. Anything works better then bore butter to me.

Quick Reply: Finally found some Goex

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.