HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Hornady SST's (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/259871-hornady-ssts.html)

lemoyne 08-27-2008 06:50 AM

RE: Hornady SST's

ORIGINAL: LaneNebraska

ORIGINAL: beast44k

I don't know or care about the ballistics of the SST's, I hunted with them last season and they did squat on putting down deer.
If you have some 200g SST's left over, that you want to unload...just PM me, I'll take'um off your hands:);)

+1 all I shot with them have been bang flops. Lee

vabowhntr 08-27-2008 09:24 AM

Hodgdons guide puts you right about 1650 fps with 2 pellets. At a MPBR of 6" (+/- 3") you would be good to just over 160 yards (with 1107 fpe at 160 yards). Wind drift at 160 is almost 7" with a 10 mph crosswind. Hope this helps.

gleason.chapman 08-27-2008 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: MoNoFletch

I will be shooting these today!! I will post info when I get back!!
They are the #1 accurate bullet in my Savage, but I would not shoot them because of shoot thru problems I have read about. Oh, this is 5 shot group, 100 yards, or close to it 92.5 I believe.
Chap

MoNoFletch 08-27-2008 07:49 PM

My SST's are 300 and I will keep them!!

Reese260 08-28-2008 07:45 AM

I have hunted with the 250 gr SST for two seasons here in PA. We have a generous antlerless license allocation in the Special Regulations area where I hunt. I have taken seven shots at deer in those two seasons and all seven deer have fallen quickly with one shot using 85 gr FFFg T7 and the 250 gr SST. These shots ranged from 10 yards to about 100 yards. None of the deer went far and none of them required a second shot. They were all double lung shots with several hitting ribs. Before that, I used the 250 gr XTP. I have not experienced any bullet failures with the SST or XTP. I suspect my experince is pretty typical. One question I have is, are the alledged failed bullets being used in their correct FPS range?

gleason.chapman 08-28-2008 04:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Reese260

correct FPS range?
Most manufacturers are recommending 150g of pellets (TC with BDC is big now) with the 250g SW. What is the recommended fps for the 250g SW. I know the XTP and XTP Mag. This chart is expansion range, I think SST is similar, but I have never seen a chart. Chap

lemoyne 08-28-2008 04:40 PM

gleason.chapman
Shoot through problems? Every one I have taken game with has been a pass through is that what you mean? I dont really care when over 90 percent are bang flops and the others never made 30 yards , whats wrong with a pass through if you hit them where your supposed to and dont get a bang flop it gives a better blood trail. Lee

beast44k 08-28-2008 05:41 PM

I shot two deer last season with the 250 gr SST-ML with 100gr of 777 pellets.
Irecovered both deer within 100 yards, with good lung shots made, but there wasvirtually noblood trail to follow.
I was very fortunate to find the buck, we did alast ditch wide circle and ended finding him.

So I shouldn't say they don't put deer down, but rather that they aren't made for hunters with poor tracking skills....:D

gleason.chapman 08-28-2008 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

gleason.chapman
Shoot through problems? Every one I have taken game with has been a pass through is that what you mean? I dont really care when over 90 percent are bang flops and the others never made 30 yards , whats wrong with a pass through if you hit them where your supposed to and dont get a bang flop it gives a better blood trail. Lee
Just what I have read Lee, that they go in and out the same size hole with little expansion, that means small wound channel and long tracking jobs---I hunt 17 acre fields and 26a plot and need a bang flop, DRT hit, little or no tracking since going on another property to die is not good---horse pastures and stuff. Bone hits they expand. I have read where some only take shoulder shots because of the lack of expansion and shooting thru without expansion. I don't doubt your experience with them. Theauthor ofthe thread asked so Isaid my opinion,the author needs to balance my opinion, your experience and his poor experience with them and either switch bullets or take shoulder shots with them, that is what I recommend.Regards,
Chap

HUNT4ME 08-28-2008 08:35 PM

I had the same pass thru experience last year on a very nice 8pt.Deer was about 45 yds.out.Standing broad side checking a scrape.Punched him just behind left shoulder in the crease.He took off like a scalded dog.Hit him about 15 min b/4 dark.I went straight to the impact sight.There were 2 egg sized blood spots and a tuft of hair about the same size.Had nickle to dime size blood about every 10 yds.or so.Then after about 75yds of that,nothing.Looked for about 2 hrs.No success.Went back the next morning and found him.He had gone about 250 yards and was piled up under a tangle of laurel.Bullet sized hole on both sides.I had hit him perfectly through both lungs.It was warm the night befor and I lost all ther meat.They group extremely well out of my Omega with 110 grains of t7ff but that deer did not go down like I like them to.I'll give a little on accuracy this year,back to Nosler partitions for me at about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 groups. hunt4me