Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady SST's

Old 09-01-2008, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hornady SST's

ORIGINAL: Moebedda

ORIGINAL: beast44k

I don't know or care about the ballistics of the SST's, I hunted with them last season and they did squat on putting down deer.
I don't care for them either. I shot 2 deer with them last year and was not impressed at all. I did recover both animals as they were both boiler room shots, but what I didn't care for is the lack of blood and what looked like zero expansion. The exit hole on both animals was the same size as the entrance hole. Both deer ran about 40-50 yards. I was shooting the shotgun version, but it's the same bullet at a slightly higher FPS. The shots were 165 yards and 45 yards, if it makes a difference. I do like the accuracy however.

Ishoot a Nosler Partition 260 grain HG bullet out of my OptimaProover 100 grains of 777 loose and that bullet is insane.I shot a deer with it too. The exit wound was the size of a half dollar and it looked like a crime scene where I shot it. That deer only ran 30 yards on the same boiler room shot. That deer was 30 yards away when I pulled the trigger.

I'm selling my shotgun. I'll use my muzzleloader if I hunt in a shotgun zone this year.
Yep, precisely what Bryce Towsley says, Bryce is the MLer Editor for American Hunter Magazine and has hunted MLer for over 35 years. Chap

Old 09-01-2008, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: beast44k

I don't know or care about the ballistics of the SST's, I hunted with them last season and they did squat on putting down deer.
I don't care for them either. I shot 2 deer with them last year and was not impressed at all. I did recover both animals as they were both boiler room shots, but what I didn't care for is the lack of blood and what looked like zero expansion. The exit hole on both animals was the same size as the entrance hole. Both deer ran about 40-50 yards. I was shooting the shotgun version, but it's the same bullet at a slightly higher FPS. The shots were 165 yards and 45 yards, if it makes a difference. I do like the accuracy however.

Ishoot a Nosler Partition 260 grain HG bullet out of my OptimaProover 100 grains of 777 loose and that bullet is insane.I shot a deer with it too. The exit wound was the size of a half dollar and it looked like a crime scene where I shot it. That deer only ran 30 yards on the same boiler room shot. That deer was 30 yards away when I pulled the trigger.

I'm selling my shotgun. I'll use my muzzleloader if I hunt in a shotgun zone this year.
Yep, precisely what Bryce Towsley says, Bryce is the MLer Editor for American Hunter Magazine and has hunted MLer for over 35 years. Chap

Old 09-01-2008, 10:57 AM

yeah pointy bullets dont really leak much blood

Also have to remember the blood that comes out of the mouth and nose on a hit like this.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bryce Towsley can use whatever hewants to. falcon will use what works for him. Shot a 250 poundhog standing broadside lastSaturday at a range of just over 110 yards. The 250 grain SST did nothit bone going in. The bullet struck the animaljustabove the heart. The lungsand heart werenearly liquified and the bullet left a1.5" exit hole. Bang-flop.

Gun: .50 CVA Mag. Hunter
Powder: 120 grains of Pinnacle 3F
Bullet: 250 grain SST in hard loading black sabot.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: falcon

Bryce Towsley can use whatever hewants to. falcon will use what works for him. Shot a 250 poundhog standing broadside lastSaturday at a range of just over 110 yards. The 250 grain SST did nothit bone going in. The bullet struck the animaljustabove the heart. The lungsand heart werenearly liquified and the bullet left a1.5" exit hole. Bang-flop.

Amen, that is the way things should work. Chap
Old 09-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: falcon

Kinda reminds me of Randy Wakeman's hog and what he said about SST.I know you don't care what any writer thinks or shoots, but I wonder why he said what he said. Some will say money.
Chap

Old 09-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Spike

I did that about four years ago and I have no regrets.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have used them all along with several other good ones, So I guess I will tell you all what I think. They are all good bullets if you adjust the velocity to where the bullet will work as designed; I never had a problem with any of the even the antiquated power belt works fine if you use it right, but none of them work quite as good on deer as the 250 Gold Dot. Lee