Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New muzzleloader for a novice >

New muzzleloader for a novice

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New muzzleloader for a novice

Old 08-25-2008, 10:07 AM

Default New muzzleloader for a novice

I'm in the market for a new muzzleloader (Cabela's just sent those darn spend $500, get a $150 gift card things out again). I've never used a muzzleloader and am interested in accuracy with open sights (no scopes allowed on muzzies where I hunt) and ease of cleaning as the little bit I know about them is that cleaning is crucial to them lasting.

I'm very interested in the T/C Omega with a laminate thumbhole stock and stainless barrel.

I like the Encore as well, but the ability to convert it into a rifle or shotgun is not important to me so I would only use it as a muzzleloader.

Thanks for any info you can give a novice,
Old 08-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New muzzleloader for a novice

Well you seem to have answered your own question. The Omega, or the Triumph would both make great choices. With a good peep sight, you have a long range sabot shooting rifle that should be a good muzzleloader for many years... I would go to cabela's and shoulder them and see which one fits you best..
Old 08-25-2008, 10:12 AM

My brother actually has an Omega in camo with the thumbhole stock and it fits me well - just want to make sure I'm not buying into all the T/C "hype" that is out there (I don't know if it's warranted our not since I know nothing about muzzleloaders).
Old 08-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Dominant Buck

A lot of people talk about Thompson Center being as good as all people claim.. a.k.a. hype. Well you have to also understand that the Omega was one of the top selling muzzle-loading rifle for many years. It also was ranked very high in customer satisfaction. You see very few bad comments about the Omega other then the small trigger guard, and there was some concern with the Omega Z stock.

Many other companies were so effected by Omega sales, they had to copy the design and produce their own "Omega" with a different name. Most Thompson Center rifles are copied by the other companies actually. Knight is another innovative company that produces excellent rifles and guarantees their accuracy.

Thompson Center has great customer service. Their rifles are shooters. They might not shoot conicals as well as other rifles, but if your open sight shots have any range to them, a good sabot combination would make me lean to the Triumph because of the new innovations in their design.

I'd personally get me a Triumph, some shockwaves, and some Black Horn 209 powder with some Winchester W209 primers and never look back. I still shoot a T/C Black Diamond XR. It is older technology but I have not found a rifle yet that I can shoot better. We are also not allowed magnified scopes in Wisconisn, but are allowed 1X scopes.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:28 AM

Thank you very much for your opinion. To be honest, I didn't see a big difference between the Omega and Triumph (although one would think that since the Triumph is new, it should be better than the Omega), and just like the "looks" of the Omega.

I know the Triumph has the "speed breech",but from perusing the forums, many are saying that the speed breech isn't all so speedy (sticks a lot). That had me a bit concerned.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

You might be overlooking one, inbetween the Omega [which I have on of and is an excellant gun] is the Triumph which I like to call the super Omega. The Triumph is the easyest to clean muzzle loader at this time and either one of them shoot so good with Black Horn 209 that some times its hard to believe. Lee
Old 08-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Dominant Buck

I've played with the Triumph at a gun shop. It took me about three minutes to figure out why the breech sticks. I just shook it and pushed after lining up the marks. It slid right in.I was able to put it in and out and the plug was not even greased. Also where we hunt in the winter it gets COLD (first frost was last night). The Triumph has a larger trigger guard for gloved fingers which to me is a plus. Also the design of the stock, while I like the Omega better, I could get used to the Triumph easy. Although, there is nothing wrong with the Omega. I am still kicking myself for not buying a used one a while back. It was every thing I wanted, but I had just bought two rifles that week and felt I should hold off for a while on another one...
Old 08-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, forced restraint can cripple your mind.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

either would be a great choice.. Tne biggest plus of the new model is just that, its new and alot of people like having something new that isnt outdated. Not saying the omega is, but we all know how some have to by a new truck everyyear

I was getting the pro hunter this year, then I saw the endeavor which is what the triumph is to the omega. Just a newer model with a small few tweaks.

goodluck with either you choose and both will suit you well
Old 08-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since you are going to be hunting with open sights, you should be aware that the comb on the Triumph is some higher than the comb on the Omega. I, myself cannot comfortably get down on the Triumph stock enough to 'see' the iron sights. It seemed to me, that if i were to shoot the Triumph with the iron sights, it would slap me in the face pretty good. You need to hold and shoulder these rifles, before you decide that the Triumph is the one you want. The Omega may turn out to be more comfortable for you, especially since you must use iron sights.

Quick Reply: New muzzleloader for a novice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.