Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 just got my first muzzleloader!!! any suggestions before I take it out? >

just got my first muzzleloader!!! any suggestions before I take it out?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

just got my first muzzleloader!!! any suggestions before I take it out?

Old 08-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: just got my first muzzleloader!!! any suggestions before I take it out?

ORIGINAL: arcticap

ORIGINAL: pheasantHUNTER121

Since kansas just changed some of their regulations we might get to gun hunt this year if we dont succed with our bows.

Then Chap said:
I shot open sights the first year, recommend you do the same, since getting an excellent quality scope is important and they areabout$200.
Gee Chap, Kansas just instituted some new rules....

The Wildlife and Parks Commission approves the addition for the early season.
BY MICHAEL PEARCE
The Wichita Eagle

For the first time, Kansas deer hunters will be allowed to hunt with scopes on their muzzleloaders during the state's early muzzleloader season.

Wildlife and Parks commissioners voted 4-3 to allow scopes of any magnification after more than 20 minutes of discussion during a meeting Thursday night in Topeka.

Commissioner Frank Meyer of Herington was against the regulation, saying, "with these new muzzleloaders all you're doing is extending the regular firearms deer season by two weeks."

Commissioner Gerald Lauber of Topeka supported allowing scopes to make it easier for hunters with vision problems to aim their rifles and place their shots more accurately.

Chris Tymeson, Wildlife and Parks attorney, said complaints have been filed with the federal government claiming that denying the use of scopes discriminates against hunters with poor sight.

Commissioners were unanimous in passing the following equipment-related regulations for deer hunting:

• Allowing the use of knapped stone broadheads for bowhunting.

• Allowing the use of hard-cast lead bullets in muzzleloaders and rifles.

• Allowing the use of crossbows during the state's regular firearms season.

The following regulations for over-the-counter permits also passed the commission:

• The creation of a "three-in-one" state-wide whitetail permit, which allows residents to hunt across the state, in any season with the appropriate weapon.

• The creation of a state-wide archery any deer/either species permit that allows a bowhunter to take whitetail or mule deer. The permit is only valid during archery season.

• The issuance of muzzleloader any deer/either species permits that allows permit holders to hunt whitetail or mule deer in select western Kansas units. Such permits would not be valid during archery season and would require hunters to use a muzzleloader during the state's regular firearms deer season.

I think that they should just buy a scope that works and meets their budget to enjoy the most accuracy that their rifles can provide toward havinga successful hunt and/or more enjoyable range sessions.
There's no reason to hunt, shoot or range testwith open sights unnecessarily.
Many parents and adultsthink that their young children should take their first shots using a .22 with open sights too. But believe it or not, the NRA First Steps Basic Rifle Course Handbook recommends just the opposite. They believe that a newbie child's first shots should be taken with a scoped .22 so that they can hit their target moreand have a more successful and rewarding 1st shooting experience. Nothing will turn off a child more than not being able to hit the target that they were aiming at, especially if they're shooting at longer hunting distances.
What one person might consider to be more of ahuntingchallenge, another might consider to be a handicap which can ruintheir entire hunting tripor shooting experience.
There's plenty of time for kids to learn how to shoot with open sights. My oldest son shot in smallbore competition withpeep sights startingwhenhe was a young child. But when he shot withadultsin light rifle competitionwhere using a scope was allowed, or when he was first learning and practicinghow to shoot a rifle safely, or when he was plinking atsoda cansat 70 yards, he certainly enjoyedshooting witha "cheap"scope.
Since the Kansas rules were changed, why not take advantage of them even if the scope doesn't cost $200? I don'trequire a $200 scope to enjoy shooting a rifle even if onlysemi-accurately. Sometimes the scope that fits the riflethebest or suits the shooter's tastedoesn't cost anywherenear$200, and yet they actually do work as intended.
I guess I've said too muchalreadybut Idid submit apost!
I bought my first two MLers at about the same price that these fellows did, and I found getting all the bullets, cleans supplies, sling, range rod, yata was another $100. I was just tying to save them some money, not thinking so much of best accuracy. If they can affort a good scope and mounts, then that is going to add another $300 to the price of the gun, about $100 for mounts and rings and $200 for a good scope. I have bought the cheap Tascos and Simmons and my gun was unuseable in the rain, that is why I was recommend they in year 1 shoot open sights, year 2 buy the scope and get a good one, no sense on wasting money on a poor scope. Nikon or Bushnell Elite is good quality without breaking the bank. You can of course go with Leoupolds and other high end optics, but it is seldom needed in a MLer. I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 Firefly and it is an excellent scope. I have that same scope on a Savage shooting about 2400 fps with 300g Barnes bullets with a lead sled with no problems so far. Bottom line, if you can affort it buy a good scope, but it is easier in year 1 to shoot open sights and learn the fine art of MLing. Best Wishes on your setting up and sighing in.
Chap
Old 08-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: just got my first muzzleloader!!! any suggestions before I take it out?

I would also add if you are new to muzzleloaders get a friend or family member who knows aboutML'sto go with you to the range. It can be a little intimidating for a begginer till you get use to it. I remember the 1st few times i fired a muzzleloader was intimidating for me.
Of course all the stories my Cousins use to tell me about muzzys when i was starting out did not help either.