Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Newbie to Loose Powder >

Newbie to Loose Powder

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Newbie to Loose Powder

Old 08-20-2008, 01:10 PM

Default Newbie to Loose Powder

Hi all. I have been shooting muzzle loaders for quite a few years but I have always used pellets. With all this talk of BH209 I'm getting an itch to try it out. My only problem is I have no idea what to get or how to use it! I see flasks, powder measures, etc.

Since everyone in the BP forum has been so helpful in the past, could someone outline a few things I should pick up and how to measure the powder? I don't know if all loose powders are the same so will one measure be the same as another? How do you make sure all of the powder is seated near the breach? You know, all the basic stuff. LOL

I am using an Encore with a 50x209 barrel.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newbie to Loose Powder

Here is something I found on the Modern Muzzleloading forum from a very experianced shooter.
I have not used it yet as it is not available localy,I will have to order it but I will wait to get all the powders I need before I do because of the hazmat fee.I need to get together with others when they order and split the cost.

Blackhorn 209 VOLUME to WEIGHT calculator:

VOLUME in GRAINS BH209 / 1.5 = WEIGHT in GRAINS BH209

OR... VOLUME in GRAINS BH209 X 0.667 = WEIGHT in GRAINS BH209

Recommend cleaning supplies:

SO FAR...Hoppe's #9 Solvent is the best we've used for BH209 bore/action cleanup. Follow up with a good gun oil such as Birchwood-Casey Synthetic Gun Oil or Breakfree.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK G2 - Black Powder and its substitutes are measured in volume not weight. I figured you would know that but just to be sure.
There are several powder measures out there to get you started. I have an old one that measures from 50 - 100 grains. My friend just picked one up at cabelas that goes from 80 - 120 gr. You can buy screw on caps that replace the caps on Pyrodex and T7. Having not seen any BH209, I don't know what type of container it comes in. But if it has a narrow mouth, you may be able to pour it directly into your measurer.
Flasks are nice, and once you determine how much power your optimum charge takes, you can get different sized spouts to match your charge.
Note:for consistancy, some guys in here do take a, lets say, 80 gr by volume charge and weigh it on their reloading scale. Then the use that weight and weigh out several charges to take to the range with them in powder tubes.
As for knowing if the powder goes all the way to the bottom - its just like pellets. Once you have your powder and bullet down the bore, you should be down to your reference mark on the rod. (marked during the first loading)
As for one measuring different than the other. Probably - but this is due to grain size. For example, 80 grains of FFFg by volume will weigh more than 80 gr of FFg by volume simply because the grains are finer and there will be less air space.
Hope this helps
Old 08-20-2008, 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

As for one measuring different than the other. Probably - but this is due to grain size. For example, 80 grains of FFFg by volume will weigh more than 80 gr of FFg by volume simply because the grains are finer and there will be less air space.
Hope this helps
This is what I was wondering about. I know the flakes or pellets are different sizes so I was wondering, for example, how 90 grains of Pyrodex would be compared to 90 grains of BH209. Like Schultz would say, "I know nothing!"
Old 08-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Dominant Buck

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000307222

The powder measure I use...

You also need to get a pour cap. They are red in color and made to fit the Pyrodex bottles. You take the lid off the 209 and this will screw in place. You can then pour from that into your powder measure. Really not all that hard. Set the measure for the desired amount of powder you want to shoot. Fill it from the jug, and the swing the funnel over to cut the charge. Dump that, put the lid back on the powder and you're all set to load your bullet...

Some shooting tubes or speed loaders, and you can make some pre measured charges up for hunting that you carry in your pocket..
Old 08-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

G2 - I never actually weighed any BP or its substitutes. I always went by volume. So to me, 90 grs (volume) is 90 grs regardless of what powder I am using. However, 90 gr of FFg will not produce as much velocity as 90 grs of FFFg - all else being equal.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

So far, it seems most of the guys are getting terrific results using 90 to 120 grains volumetric of the BH209 - and you will probably find a load in that same ballpark.

I would start with 85% by volume of any load with Pyrodex for what I believe would be similar velocities. In other words, if shooting 100 grains by volume of Pyro - drop that to a starting point of 85 grains by volume of BH209. I don't know that anyone has done direct comparisons to charges of loose Pyro - but I think my suggestion would be both safe and close to accurate.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:40 PM

Hmmm, this appears to be easier than I thought!

I have been using 130grains of pyrodex pellets, two 50's and one 30, pushing a 200 grain SW. That load has been giving me cloverleafs at 100 yards. I know that the pellets don't exactly match loose powder. What would a good starting point be for BH209?

Thanks guys
Old 08-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Dominant Buck

If 130 grains were shooting good for you, I would try 110 grains of BH209 and go from there. You will really like the fact there is no swabbing, it cleans with solvent, so gets some Hoppies #9, and the breech plug comes right out. Also get a good strong primer like a Winchester W209. I shoot the Winchester with great results, and no hangfires.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:47 PM

Oh, Winchester 209 primers for the WIN! Never had a problem with them so didn't see any reason to switch.

Quick Reply: Newbie to Loose Powder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.