HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   .45 Kodiak, BH209, CR & 200 SW WOW!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/258508-45-kodiak-bh209-cr-200-sw-wow.html)

bowbender6 08-18-2008 08:43 PM

.45 Kodiak, BH209, CR & 200 SW WOW!!

Shot the Kodiak some more today with 200 grain Shockwaves but I changed the sabot to Harvester crush rib. 80 grain was a little more accurate than 120 but not much. The 120 grain averaged 2209 fps which should let me extend my range. I need to shoot at longer distances. NO missfires or blowback. I only paid about $130 for this gun new. You can get them at Sportsman’s Guide for $130-$150 depending on if you want Blued or Nickel. I am ging to try it with th esuplied sabot sometime to see if their is a difference between them and the crush rib. The crush rib's load nice:D
CVA Kodiak .45
4-12x Swift Premier
Fed 209A primer

Semisane 08-18-2008 08:47 PM

RE: .45 Kodiak, BH209, CR & 200 SW WOW!!

Now `ya talking!!! 2200 fps - WOW.

lemoyne 08-18-2008 09:15 PM

What amazes me is that so few of us like the 40 cal SW. Good shooting bowbender6.
You might try the 40 cal 200gr XTP. And I heard that by this time next year Hornady may release a 225 gr 40 cal SST, wouldn't that be nice. Lee

bowbender6 08-18-2008 09:40 PM

I'll have to the 200 xtp. I have the 180 xtp. I just got this gun this Feb and haven't had time to play with a lot of loads. Now with BH209 it is like starting over with all the combo's

saxman1 08-19-2008 06:10 PM

I just ordered one of the Kodiak Pro 45 cal Realtree HD Camo and SS from Sportsmans Guide,I am a member.Great price

bowbender6 08-20-2008 06:59 AM

For what it is worth I shot these 200 Shockwaves in my nephews CVA mag bolt and only got 1640fps with 80 gr BH209. The barrel is shorter but that is a lot of difference. I wonder if it had to do with the .45 barrel building pressure faster. In my .50 caliber guns it seems the 300 grain class bullets are more efficent.

gleason.chapman 08-20-2008 07:13 PM

ORIGINAL: bowbender6

Shot the Kodiak some more today with 200 grain Shockwaves but I changed the sabot to Harvester crush rib. 80 grain was a little more accurate than 120 but not much. The 120 grain averaged 2209 fps which should let me extend my range. I need to shoot at longer distances. NO missfires or blowback. I only paid about $130 for this gun new. You can get them at Sportsman’s Guide for $130-$150 depending on if you want Blued or Nickel. I am ging to try it with th esuplied sabot sometime to see if their is a difference between them and the crush rib. The crush rib's load nice:D
CVA Kodiak .45
4-12x Swift Premier
Fed 209A primer

Wow, boom flop is coming. Chap

saxman1 08-20-2008 08:29 PM

Nice shooting Chap
I cant wait to get mine
Kodiak 45 Realtree / SS

walmpus 08-21-2008 11:48 AM

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but have been involved in ML for several years now. I am glad to see someone is having luck with a .45 CVA. I always wanted a .45 and not many companies make them anymore, so when I came across a CVA .45 Kodiak I jumped on it. Nice price and couldn't pass it up. Had problems with it so I sent it in and was told it was fixed. Took it to the range......same problem. They sent me a new gun instantly, which to my suprise, was an upgrade. They sent me a nickel finish camo stock, shooters pack, tools, ect.......Really good customer service. Well, anyway..........had this .45 for over a year and can not get any better than 6-8 inch groups. I shoot 100 grains of powder and never above that.....no need to for me. I have tried everything from 175 to 275 grain bullets in powerbelts, Hornady SST, Shockwaves, XTP's....Tried different primers (including the primer adapter kit from PR Bullets).....just plain no luck. I am kinda confused about something though.........in the shooters pack they sent me 225 grain powerbelts, but the factory recommend load according to CVA is 100 grains of powder with a 275 grain powerbelt? Makes no sense to me. So I called them and they told me to try the 300 grain platnum series powerbelt. I dont really want to shoot a bullet that big. I have just NEVER had this much trouble with a ML. I guess I will have to start from scratch again.............unless someone really understands the CVA Kodiak I would be glad to listen. Just as a side note........I bought this one because it was a .45 and an inline and I wanted to use 2 pellets and bullet just to keep things simple.Boy am I one frustrated ML fan!

Walmpus

frontier gander 08-21-2008 12:39 PM

Try a 275gr Aerotip with 80gr pyrodex RS. A 225 Aerotip with 80gr RS. Theres nothing wrong with shooting a 300gr platinum.

If you dont have the range time to work up an accurate load, I'd be more than happy to have you send it to me for me to take a look at and find an accurate load for you. I'll supply the bullets and powder from my own stash.
Lots of times its just not having the range time or patience to find the perfect load that the rifle likes.
Let me know if you are interested in letting me get that rifle going for you. I seem to have the "Magic touch" with CVA rifles :D

ORIGINAL: walmpus

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but have been involved in ML for several years now. I am glad to see someone is having luck with a .45 CVA. I always wanted a .45 and not many companies make them anymore, so when I came across a CVA .45 Kodiak I jumped on it. Nice price and couldn't pass it up. Had problems with it so I sent it in and was told it was fixed. Took it to the range......same problem. They sent me a new gun instantly, which to my suprise, was an upgrade. They sent me a nickel finish camo stock, shooters pack, tools, ect.......Really good customer service. Well, anyway..........had this .45 for over a year and can not get any better than 6-8 inch groups. I shoot 100 grains of powder and never above that.....no need to for me. I have tried everything from 175 to 275 grain bullets in powerbelts, Hornady SST, Shockwaves, XTP's....Tried different primers (including the primer adapter kit from PR Bullets).....just plain no luck. I am kinda confused about something though.........in the shooters pack they sent me 225 grain powerbelts, but the factory recommend load according to CVA is 100 grains of powder with a 275 grain powerbelt? Makes no sense to me. So I called them and they told me to try the 300 grain platnum series powerbelt. I dont really want to shoot a bullet that big. I have just NEVER had this much trouble with a ML. I guess I will have to start from scratch again.............unless someone really understands the CVA Kodiak I would be glad to listen. Just as a side note........I bought this one because it was a .45 and an inline and I wanted to use 2 pellets and bullet just to keep things simple.Boy am I one frustrated ML fan!

Walmpus