Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 blown scope, lead sled to blame? >

blown scope, lead sled to blame?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

blown scope, lead sled to blame?

Old 08-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: blown scope, lead sled to blame?

saxman1

Now I'm scared to use mine.
The lead sled is a good product - just do not have it overloaded - the gun needs to have some ability to recoil - so as Bronco suggests "just do not overload it..."

I do not use a sled at all so I really can not be a good judge of what weight might be best... When I shoot off the bench, i guess i shoot the old fashioned way - I use bags front and rear, actully I use a Caldwell "Rock" on the front. My bench has one of those front rest also but I do prefer "the rock"

Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Mr. Loony - So are you trying to stir up trouble here too like you didon the other forum?
These guys are all great guys - we do not need your sarcastic, abusive comments in here.
Nope, just never found a need forthat lead sled thing, nor a whole lot of use for a bench either, for that matter. Shootin' off a bench gives you a different POI than you get with field positions, and it would seem to me if you need a heavy sled thing to "sight in" for hunting then you should be concentrating on your shooting form WITHOUT the heavy sled first.

Flinch isn't a function of what rest you are using either....

Just wonderin' what makes some of you guys tick, that's all.................
Old 08-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Saxman....proper practice without the Lead Sled will cure your flinch. I patterened 3 Turkey guns this Spring using 3.5" #6s (12ga) tungsten pellets with 2.25 oz.loads. If that don't give ya a flinch,,,you're a better man than me.

I've read numerous reports about the LS busting scopes. I tend to believe them,,although I don't own one,,and won't.

For the "non-believers"....I'll ask this.....

Why do air guns trash scopes so easily with the "reverse recoil"??
Old 08-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Saxman never said anything about having a flinch and I don't recall anyone else saying that either. But for load testing for accuracy it may be a good tool for that.The same goes for a bench.
I can honestly say that the statement that shooting off the bench gives you a different POI than field positions. But the bench serves the purposefor load development, getting the 'feel' of your equipment, and significantly reducing the human factor. But once you load is established, field position shooting practice is great and beneficial.
I've never had the need for a lead sled either but getting one does not make it wrong.
If I was incorrect in my previous statement, I apologize. Its just I can't abide people putting other people down for any reason. It usually just hides their own insecurity.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

Mr. Loony - So are you trying to stir up trouble here too like you didon the other forum?
These guys are all great guys - we do not need your sarcastic, abusive comments in here.
Nope, just never found a need forthat lead sled thing, nor a whole lot of use for a bench either, for that matter. Shootin' off a bench gives you a different POI than you get with field positions, and it would seem to me if you need a heavy sled thing to "sight in" for hunting then you should be concentrating on your shooting form WITHOUT the heavy sled first.

Flinch isn't a function of what rest you are using either....

Just wonderin' what makes some of you guys tick, that's all.................
I am sorry you have concern about the way I have chosen to try and learn to shoot better
I will learn to crawl before I walk and walk before I run.

Whatever way you choose to shoot sir is entirely your business and I'm sure I can learn something from it.
I have decided on a different approach and will not apoligize for it or defend it any further.
I wont waste another minuet of my time wonderin what makes you tick. GOOD DAY SIR.
VIVA LE DIFFERANCE
Old 08-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Touche - saxman

Old 08-20-2008, 12:18 PM

Saxman never said anything about having a flinch and I don't recall anyone else saying that either.
Right there is black and white dude........

ORIGINAL:Saxman

have a flinching problem and am hoping that the lead slead will help me eliminate this problem through proper pratice.

ORIGINAL:bronko22000
Its just I can't abide people putting other people down for any reason. It usually just hides their own insecurity.
Not much on lame holier than though 'net jockys either. When confronted with a good argument against what they are saying they tend to type stuff just like that.

All I'm saying is, and this IS the point you are missing by at least 22000 feet, is that too many "shooters" sit on a bench all day long and then wonder why, when taking a poke at a critter,something kicks their shoulder off, or their shot misses, or they make a bad hit.

Bench time with a lead sled DOESNOTHING for you if you cannot handle the recoil of a particular rifle chambering. Why bother with it in the first place if you can't simply practice with it sans a recoil reducing rifle rest? A smaller chambering would be my reccomendation, plain and simple.

The other aspect you mention,of load R&D, is thatIF you need something to aid you inresting the rifle STEADIER than plain old fashioned sand bags and/or a set of bipods, then you SERIOUSLY need to address your riflemanship practices, ie: breathing, trigger pull, ect.......

OldSchool mostly never don't work and I can only wonder what happened to Riflemen practicing Marksmanship..............................
Old 08-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

Saxman never said anything about having a flinch and I don't recall anyone else saying that either
Broncowhatever.................Well,,,,yeah he did.

Go back a few posts.

I was just replying to a question Saxman had, that I thought I could assist with. I'll go thru you next time since you're the genius here.[8D]
Old 08-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Didn't mean to hijack your thread outdoorsman
Sorry you had a problem and am glad you are detting it resolved
Old 08-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

missed that - my bad.

Quick Reply: blown scope, lead sled to blame?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.