Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 blown scope, lead sled to blame? >

blown scope, lead sled to blame?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

blown scope, lead sled to blame?

Old 08-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: blown scope, lead sled to blame?

Well I never used a lead sled.

I have some problems with Burris products. I do not mean to anger anyone, and my experience with Burris is limited, butyears ago, my friends on their centerfires went with Burris scopes. I went with a Tasco World Class. We all shot 7mm mags and both their scopes went bad after a year or two. Now granted we shot a lot back in those days, and some were hot loads. My friends both went to Leupold after that. My 7mm mag STILL has that same Tasco on it, and it still shoots great.

Lets hope that Burris has a great customer service...
Old 08-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

recoil - that energy has to go somewhere. Your shoulder is a nice, pliant cushion that will absorb the energy, a brick wall is not so accommodating.Just run a simple vector analysis of the distribution of force.

But I always wonder (when reading of this type event)what kind of rings/mounts were involved and if they were secure.
burris signature zee rings on a warne steel base.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Typical Buck

i've contacted my sales rep for burris and i'll be sending it back. they have a forever warrenty and have sent a few of my other scopes to them before for minor things. they will take care of it and do so without charge. i haven't run into any problems with there service before.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought a lead sled but havent used it yet
Maybe I just wont put any weight on it,It seems like a nice rest just the way it is
Old 08-19-2008, 05:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jascoesens - look at it this way. Lets say you took your scope and layed it in your open hand. Then you smacked it with a rubber mallet. It would fly off your hand and onto the ground - and probably not get damaged. Now set it on a concrete floor and give it a whack with the mallet. You are definately going to jar the internals. Maybe enough to cause damage. Think about recoil as the invisible mallet.
The lead sled is a good idea and I wish I thought of it while pattering my 3 1/2" turkey gun or sighting in a 460 Weatherby for a guy.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorsmen

shooting the triumph today for the second time with my burris signature 3-9x40 electro dot. i have maybe a total of 25 shots through the combo. well today after maybe 6 shots i noticed that my crosshairs were moving. this could explain why i wasn't getting any groups. i tapped the rearend of the scope and watched my crosshairs move, they ended up looking like and X instead of +. not happy at all.
i wonder if my lead sled is to blame. it was questioned awhile back that the sleds were hard on scopes. of course the lead sled people say that there is no way that is possible.
all i know is i just wasted alot of time, gas, blackhorn and barnes bullets for nothing.
I have shot about 200 Barnes 300g Origonal thru a Savage with a Lead Sled and about 20 lbs of sand. I have a Bushnell 3200 scope with Warne QD rings and Weaver GrandSlam mounts. I have not had a problem. To me the recoil is going into the sled, not the scope, the scope is mounted on the rifle and of course is in motion like the rifle itself. A lotta guys shoot them without issues, so there must be something good to them or they would not sell. Chap
Old 08-19-2008, 06:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

You are exactly right Chap. And I see no problem with using the lead sled. But using it properly - like you are, with only about 20 lb of weight.
That TV commercial is misleading using 100 lb of weight and shooting a 416 RM.
Using too much weight and using a firearm with some 'kick' is going to result in equipment failure sooner or later.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

The recoil goes to the earth.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: ronlaughlin

The recoil goes to the earth.
There you go - but in the form of various gun/scope parts. lol
Old 08-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did not like the "Sled" the first time I saw one. I do not doubt the fact that the "Sled" is harder on your equipment. But I did not like it for a more basic reason. There is no doubt in my mind that if you impede the natural recoil of the rifle then you would no doubt impact the POI. This impact of POI would be unacceptable to me. Tom.

Quick Reply: blown scope, lead sled to blame?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.