HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   different primers different story (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/258486-different-primers-different-story.html)

outdoorsmen 08-18-2008 06:53 PM

different primers different story

went back to the range today to shoot my knight LRH and triumph with cci209m primers, i had been using win209. with the win209 primers in the knight i would have hangfires, (today for grins i shot one w209 and it was a hangfire). with there was a noticable difference in poi with the cci's and 120gr. bh209. the primers even bulged back after the shot. they still had the firing pin dent but the whole back end of the primer was pushed back out.
i shot 120gr and 110gr that there was about a 8" diffenece in poi in just 10grs of powder. the last time i shot with 120gr and the w209 i was very pleased with about 1" groups. i didn't think that the cci's were as consistent in grouping as the w209.
i think i'm stuck with the cci though since they caused no hangfires. i don't understand why the w209 gives me problems. i'm using the breech plug that came with the gun, the concave plug.

cayugad 08-18-2008 09:18 PM

RE: different primers different story

I used the Winchester W209 in my Disc with no problems what do ever. By chance, is the breech perhaps particially plugged. I ran out of BH209 so I can do no more testing...

Semisane 08-18-2008 09:38 PM

I ran out of BH209 so I can do no more testing...
Gonna buy more?? - or had enough?? :D

outdoorsmen 08-18-2008 09:51 PM

i don't think it is plugged. i clean my guns pretty really well and after each outing. i can see light through the hole. other people say that i shouldn't have any problems but i do. it's not every shot, it's about every 3rd shot.
i just finished my first can of bh209. today's shooting wasn't as good as last week.

what's your take on thr primer bluge?

cayugad 08-18-2008 10:00 PM

I had some of the disc's coming out with primer bulge... I just ignored the fact. As for me buying more, I have a friend heading past a Cabelas and told him to get me three pounds... That should hold me a while. Semisane, have you bought any yet? :D

outdoorsmen 08-18-2008 10:21 PM

i've got two more cans. heck my first can only lasted me 2 trips to the range.

Semisane 08-18-2008 10:22 PM

Semisane, have you bought any yet? :D
Naw, not yet. But I feel a disturbance in the force.

bronko22000 08-19-2008 06:31 AM

Outdoorsman - Is this the same lot/package of primers? Or have you used different lots. It could be that there is some contamination on some of them and not providing enough 'ignition'.
I'd try another package from a different lot before blaming the w209. A lot of guys use the W209s without problem like Dave says. If you're having problems with them, it may be something else.
Not sure what.

bowbender6 08-19-2008 07:44 AM

I have been using Fed 209A with no problems, they are supposed to be hotter. I had some in a red box that bulged and fell apart in my converted Traditions L-bolt, then I got some Fed 209A, same SKU and number but in a blue box from Gander Mountain and no bulging. They must have changed something.

lemoyne 08-19-2008 07:49 AM

outdoorsmen
It might be a good idea to try CCI mag or Federal 209's . Lee