Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

peep sight

Old 08-17-2008, 03:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default peep sight

I hunt in MN where it is open sights only during ML season unless you have some vision disability. I have been thinking about puting a peep on the ML and had heard good things from others about them really being able to tighten up groups and even extend the range vs the regular open sights. I shoot a CVA optima magnum. Anyone have any advice or experience with a certain brand of peep sight that would work well with this gun?

Thanks
Tom
Old 08-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: peep sight

http://www.midwayusa.com/Eproductpage.Exe/showproduct?saleitemid=496762
If you want to get sophisticated get a Ghost ring [the best for poor light and hunting situations where you dont have much time, and make an insert for it for target shooting. Lee
Old 08-17-2008, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just moved to MN this spring and ran into the same thing. Yesterday I was at Cabelas and now own this:

http://www.truglo.com/content/products/firearm/muzzleloader/muzzle_brite.asp(2nd down on the right side.)

I got it mounted last night on my KRB and I like it already. I hope to get out this afternoon to try it out. It's universal and comes with everything needed to mount to Knight, CVA, T/C, Traditions and I think a couple others. Just something else to look at.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice selection of peep sights sold here.Good people to deal with also.

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/gunsightsdefault.htm

Al
Old 08-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have a lot of different options. I personally do not like the Ghost Ring, but I do use a twilght aperture for late evening hunting. You do have several options.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Spike

I installed a Williams WGRS peep sight on my Omega and then bought a Merit adjustable aperature from http://www.eabco.com/tcomega.html
The adjustableaperatureallows me to open or close the aperature depending upon the lighting. I have really enjoyed this setup.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Lyman 57 SML peep and either the Lyman 17 AML globe with Lee Shavers inserts or a Lee Shavers globe with Lee Shavers inserts and a level. The Level REALLY makes groups tighter. No canting adds up to better groups. I have used this set up hunting and I like it a lot. Low light or high noon I have not had any problems. I use the Hunter peep in my 57, the target peep is too small for me and is a little fuzzy. Ron
Old 08-18-2008, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FF/EMT

I hunt in MN where it is open sights only during ML season unless you have some vision disability. I have been thinking about puting a peep on the ML and had heard good things from others about them really being able to tighten up groups and even extend the range vs the regular open sights. I shoot a CVA optima magnum. Anyone have any advice or experience with a certain brand of peep sight that would work well with this gun?

Thanks
Tom
I have a Knight 50 cal for my open sight rifle and it has this $30 open sight on it, I also have the same on my FL. The problem is site works good as a comprimise between a peep and open sights. RMC Sports has them, www.rmcsports.com
Chap

Old 08-18-2008, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: FF/EMT

Thanks
Tom
I have a Knight 50 cal for my open sight rifle and it has this $30 open sight on it, I also have the same on my FL. The problem I was trying to correct is the front two dot open sight being blurred for far sighted people,this sight works good as a comprimise between a peep and open sights. RMC Sports has them, www.rmcsports.com and they are not that costly. $80 for an open sight is a strech in my opinion.
Chap

Old 08-19-2008, 01:31 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all of your input guys, Now all i have to do is decide which one