Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Omega

Old 08-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: T/C Omega

ORIGINAL: oldsmellhound

There was a very good comparison done between different types of blackpowder and blackpowder substitues in a magazine awhile back (American Rifleman, maybe?).
Old 08-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

There was a very good comparison done between different types of blackpowder and blackpowder substitues in a magazine awhile back (American Rifleman, maybe?).
Old 08-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 08-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JonnyNov

I've posted this question on here before, but i am still having trouble getting a good, tight pattern. I shoot .50 cal 250 grain shockwave with 2 50 grain American Pioneer sticks. I've had a couple different people tell me that you shouldnt clean the barrel after every shot with the American Pioneer Sticks. Has anyone heard the same? I heard the same thing about using bore butter as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I shoot an Encore and the SW 250's liked 3 pelletts in mine but I use an Omega scope and thats the load that the BDC is made for.

I bought some APP sticks but took them back before opening it and got some 777 and pyrodex select.
I havent shot the 777 yet but the select did fine

I dont know about the bore butter,I use it because I have it but I look at my ML's everyday and make sure they are OK.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

your the first i heard that shoots the shockwave and 150 grains and has the omega bdc scope.
I am buying the tc triumph and plan on useing the omega scope what kind of groups did you get with that set up
ORIGINAL: saxman1

I've posted this question on here before, but i am still having trouble getting a good, tight pattern. I shoot .50 cal 250 grain shockwave with 2 50 grain American Pioneer sticks. I've had a couple different people tell me that you shouldnt clean the barrel after every shot with the American Pioneer Sticks. Has anyone heard the same? I heard the same thing about using bore butter as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I shoot an Encore and the SW 250's liked 3 pelletts in mine but I use an Omega scope and thats the load that the BDC is made for.

I bought some APP sticks but took them back before opening it and got some 777 and pyrodex select.

I dont know about the bore butter,I use it because I have it but I look at my ML's everyday and make sure they are OK.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Chapman - that was the article I was thinking of.

With 777 you need to run a wet & then a dry patch between shots. A lot of guys spit-patch, but I like to use 1 patch with Windex/rubbing alcohol and then 1 dry patch.

I would really consider using loose powder rather than pellets - you'll save a lot of money in the long run, and get better performance. A powder measure costs $10 or less and is very easy to use. I started out with pellets too, but after 1 season switched to loose. I never could get the accuracy I wanted with 777 pellets, although I know some guys get pretty good accuracy - depends on the gun and the load.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

your the first i heard that shoots the 250shockwave and 150 grains and has the omega bdc scope.
I am buying the tc triumph and plan on useing the omega scope what kind of groups did you get with that set up
ORIGINAL: saxman1

I didn't take my camera that day but they shot real good.
I am not a great shot but I have had my best groups with the 250SW & 150grns (3 pyro pelletts)
I want to get somewhere to stretch out the distance and test all the circles in the BDC

I will be shooting Powerbelts this season because I am part of a focus or testing group for these bulletts.
I'm sure there are lots of them out there that perform well.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, here is what I shoot with great consistency from my Omega.
1. 110 gr 2f T7, 209 Win Primer, 300 gr .451 Nosler Partition
or
2. 110 gr 2f T7, 209 Win Primer, 340 gr Precision Rifle Dead Center

Both are very accurate with lots of oomph when they get there. Pricey, yup, but they are the best shooters out of my Omega. I have found that lighter weight bullets don't shoot well from my rifle.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Spike

With any 777 product, your best accuracy will be had with a wet patch followed by 1-2 dry patches between each shot.

Personally, I use a wet patch, both sides, followed by 1 dry patch, both sides, then reload.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txhunter58A

With any 777 product, your best accuracy will be had with a wet patch followed by 1-2 dry patches between each shot.

Personally, I use a wet patch, both sides, followed by 1 dry patch, both sides, then reload.
+1 on the swabbing with 777. 300g Nosler .451 pistol bullet (Nosler Partition Protected Point HG is exact name)---this combo is DEADLY on deer from ANY angle--head on, sideways, and oblique.They expand on meat NOT bone like the SW. I have an Omega with a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9.

With Blackhorn 209 and 300g Barnes MZ I am getting 1" group, that will be my ML powder this fall.
Chap

Quick Reply: T/C Omega

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.