Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Black Mountain Magnum and conicals >

Black Mountain Magnum and conicals

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Mountain Magnum and conicals

Old 08-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Black Mountain Magnum and conicals

I wanted to shoot but it looked like rain. It was only in the low 80's and no wind, but the clouds looked nasty to the west. But I took the chance anyway.

I set up at the 50 yard line. I was shooting the Thompson Center Black Mountain Magnum 50 caliber. I used CCI musket caps. Ignition was perfect with these musket caps.

I had Pyrodex P and Goex 2f for the powder selection today. I brought out some 300 grain Saber tooth conicals and some 295 grain all lead HP Powerbelts.

I swabbed the barrel clean and started with the Saber Tooth shooting Pyrodex P in the 80 grain amount. Shot #5 did not please me shooting the Saber tooth conicals. I did swab between shots, and actually the Saber Tooth loaded very solid. Not what I would call a slip fit conical but not hard to load.

I then swabbed the barrel clean and loaded 80 grains of Goex 2f. Iloaded the 295 grain powerbelt and they loaded like a dream. Almost slip fit. But I could not shake them off the load. I shot the first four powerbelts, swabbing between shots. and could not believe how tight a group this rifle was shooting with these conicals. So to prove I could do it, I aimed to the left of the X and it hit with the next powerbelt right about where I figured that shot would go. I will have to do a lot more testing with Powerbelts and this rifle.

As I was checking the target I began to feel rain drops so I decided to call it a day. I do want to try the Saber Tooth with Goex black powder and shoot some other powerbelts. I might even throw a 4X scope on this rifle just for fun.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Black Mountain Magnum and conicals

Dave, is that rifle a caplock?

It seems to like the PB's.

Good shooting!! I can't hit sheite with iron sights anymore. lol
Old 08-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I do want to try the Saber Tooth with Goex black powder
That would be an interesting comparison. The more I get back to GOEX the more I like it.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes, the Black Mountain Magnum is a traditional style rifle with musket cap ignition. They also have a strange breech because these rifles are able to shoot 150 grains of pellets or loose powder.

I was having trouble with the fiber optic sights. For some reason they were glowing.. I don't know how to explain it. When I would sight over them they were almost like they were out of focus unless I opened both eyes. Then they would clear right up. So once they were clear and I could see the top V of the black X I let fly. It seemed to work real good, but actually with the way the sights looked, I was surprised the hits were as good as they did.

I have been having a terrible time with fiber optic sights as of late. Perhaps it is time to visit the eye doctor again.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like the gun is a good shooter.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:16 PM

Great shooting Dave!

With those 295's try the copper series And get them in Aerotip! The AT has always shot a heck of a lot tighter, Plus they hold up better.

Notice any heavy lead build up in the tc's rifling?
Old 08-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Dominant Buck

I actually like the all lead hollow points and the way they load and shoot. I did not notice any real lead build up. Although I did not bore brush the barrel after shooting. But come to think of it, I ran a lot of patches this time to get it clean and the black fowling was only in the rifling from looking at the patches as they came out.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

Dave
Do you think that with the powder foweling in the barrel the tendency to lead is reduced because of the friction I have noticed this to. With a fowled barrel leading seems not to occur as much. Have we discovered something?
Old 08-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Dominant Buck

I really could not say if fowling protects you, but for instance in my White which shoots only conicals 99% of the time, I seldom if ever find lead in the bore. And I never swab that rifle when I shoot.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

I think there is a school assignment for Semi here!

Quick Reply: Black Mountain Magnum and conicals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.