Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Black powder seven pointer. >

Black powder seven pointer.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black powder seven pointer.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default Black powder seven pointer.

Had not been seeing much deer movement in my area of a lease that I hunt. I did kill a small spike that was missing its back hoof and I thought was a doe, during archery.
Anyhow, decided to do some still hunting/scouting for fresh rut sign and jumped a buck in a small thicket but did not get a real good look at him. Ended up seeing two really fresh scrapes on a bush hog road right next to that thicket and set up a ground blind in a drainage ditch that overlooked those scrapes as not big trees to put a stand in. Went back in that afternoon and about 25 min. into the hunt I heard him grunting hard in the thicket and thrashing some trees really good. I doe grunted to him once every two hours with no results. The wind was blowing really hard in my face, but would also swirl around. After an hour from my last grunt he came running down the bushhog trail right to me and stopped at 10 yards! Could barely get him in my scope as I was down low in the blind and he was looking down at me. Got off a good shot with the CVA Wolf and the Barnes T-EZ did a great job. Using 110gr. BH209.

Last edited by mackesr; 11-07-2014 at 05:47 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 11-07-2014, 05:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on the buck. That I think is the most intense time when you know a buck is out front of you, but it will not come in. I guess you better practice 10 yard shots..
Old 11-07-2014, 05:49 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry, could not get my pic to work for some reason.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

You sure are right Cayugad! I could barely get behind his shoulder and the barnes bullet actually went through both lungs but must have bounced off a back rib and was barely under the skin by his pecker. When I started gutting him I found the bullet right there. It had the four petals that they are famous for and looked to have perfomed well for the shot. Probably should have taken a neck shot at that short a distance but I always prefer the double lung myself. He went about 100 yards down the trail with a decent blood trail to start with that just got better the closer I got to him.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the buck.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! Work on getting that pic to work so we can see that bad boy!
Old 11-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats mackesr!!!

There's nothing better than when a plan comes together for ya! Enjoy your venison!

BPS
Old 11-09-2014, 01:53 AM
Spike

Congrats on a fine hunt!
Old 11-09-2014, 03:11 AM
Typical Buck

Great story. Congratulations!!
Old 11-09-2014, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

that's great he'll be some good eating !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.