Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 home made hunting blind idea >

home made hunting blind idea

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

home made hunting blind idea

Old 08-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: home made hunting blind idea

i AM thinking about that for next year i am a big guy and did not think i would find one but big camo ha sone.
ORIGINAL: dmurphy317

The ultimate portable hunting blind (sort of), where you get to be the bush.

OK, I know it's not homemade but Sportsmans Guide has them for around $80 and it even has a gun cover. Just pick your spot and become the blind.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

collected some grasses, moss, and couple other things. low cost and eco friendly[8D]

sorry could not help my self.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I seen some place where a fellow bought some camo coveralls and had his wife sew strips of camo cloth small chunks of rope and twine to make his gillie suit.

Wow they took the Tpee blind back after two years. I would consider that a good company to deal with. Many put a 90 day limit on such things.

Al
Old 08-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

no i had it for about a month It was during my second year hunting.
i bought it a two weeks beforegun season started and took it back the second week in gun season.
ORIGINAL: alleyyooper

I seen some place where a fellow bought some camo coveralls and had his wife sew strips of camo cloth small chunks of rope and twine to make his gillie suit.

Wow they took the Tpee blind back after two years. I would consider that a good company to deal with. Many put a 90 day limit on such things.

Al
Old 08-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Man alive! I've been away too long, been out catfishing, scouting and such. My homemade blinds are similar to rafsob's but a smaller version. I use zinc coated screws everywhere and they do not rust. You can get wood for free, just go around to construction sites and ask for any scraps, most guys I know will give you more than you know what to do with. You could always go natural and use what mother nature leaves you in the woods. Meaning brush in an area with limbs and leaves, moss etc to the size you need, you could even tie it all together with rope so it would be there all year. I know guys who still have em after 4 years,they still have to freshen them up a little by adding new leaves, limbs but hey it's free and it works well in the wind and cold.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

I used some of the Leaf cut fabric9 pieces of 1/2in pvc at 40 in a couple dozen zip ties and about 16 ft of braided 1/4in nylon anda hotel sheet for a duck blind that worked out ok for the pronghorns too . Nevada is a tuff place to tree stand deer .

I cut the pipe at 40 as it made 3 pieces from a 10 footer drilled the tops of 5 and 45ed the bottoms threaded the rope through the drilled holes and the remaining uncut/drilled and zip tied the fabric on . With the rope pulled very tight it was actually quite ridgid and stood 30-40 mi.winds . I used the sheet for a liner of sorts because I hunt river grass salt flats and granit boulders w saw grass and tooles .
Old 08-08-2008, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ya i throw away some 2x8 that where any where from 18 feet to 10 feet long i think around 30 or 35 of them when i re roofed my house. never thought i could have used them for a blind till now. it was goods hard oak old lumber.
ORIGINAL: Gotbuck

Man alive! I've been away too long, been out catfishing, scouting and such. My homemade blinds are similar to rafsob's but a smaller version. I use zinc coated screws everywhere and they do not rust. You can get wood for free, just go around to construction sites and ask for any scraps, most guys I know will give you more than you know what to do with. You could always go natural and use what mother nature leaves you in the woods. Meaning brush in an area with limbs and leaves, moss etc to the size you need, you could even tie it all together with rope so it would be there all year. I know guys who still have em after 4 years,they still have to freshen them up a little by adding new leaves, limbs but hey it's free and it works well in the wind and cold.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:15 AM
Spike

Default Hobo Hanky Alternative

I am a fan of the impromptu hunting blind. You can set up to hunt where ever you happen to be when you find a good place. And you can take advantage of changing conditions such as wind or barometric pressure changes.

For that reason I used to carry a square of camo burlap, and still do on occasion. But what I found is even better are a pocketful of 3" blanket pins and a product called the Hobo Hanky.

The blanket pins I open up and use like giant push pins to secure small leafy branches together to make impromptu blinds. They are also just darn useful to have around as well for repairs, etc...

The Hobo Hanky is a commercial product and is like a giant camouflage patterned bandana. It's about 42 inches square but folds up not bigger than a handkerchief to fit in your pocket, so it's a lot smaller and lighter and therefore more accessible than the burlap square. It can be similarly pinned or tied between trees or branches to provide a quick to set up and take down impromptu blind. There is a picture of a "pocket blind" on their web site.

With this setup I can put up a quick blind is just over a minute. That is flexibility. And if something changes I can pull it down and stuff it back in my pocket in even less time.

And in addition to using it as a blind, the hobo hanky has a million other uses, too. Like as a neck scarf, a head wrap like a shemagh for warmth and hiding your face, a bag for carrying your gear, a rag to mop your brow or wipe your hands, blow your nose, and so on. It also makes a great hobo bindle, which is what it was originally designed for, I think. :-)

Originally Posted by dmurphy317
What I've done before is get the fabric of choice (burlap or camo mesh, etc.) and carry that. I then find my spot and use small trees or fallen limbs to arange and hang the fabric overor between as needed to hide behind. Some times I don't even need the fabric due to the foliage around me. I feel natural surroundings are less noticable to the wildlife than a new and unfamiliar structure, I've seen deer walk over and inspect a piece of trash on the ground that looked out of place. Remember, your hunting where they live 365 days a year, they know when something looks out ofplace.

A good quiet seat is also nice to have rather than sitting on the ground, I'm getting stiff in my old age. Also clear the ground of leafs and sticks that can make noise when you move around. Good luck with it.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wait till the end o the season and buy one on sale!!! I picked up a couple of dog house blinds for $35. ea.