HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Two Triggers? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/255-two-triggers.html)

JRW 01-02-2002 10:33 PM

Two Triggers?

Alright...prepare to be entertained by the stupidity of the following question:

What the heck are the two triggers on some ML's for? Do you pull them at the same time? Do you hold one then pull the second to fire? Do you pull one to "set" it, then move your finger to the second to shoot?

I'm basically "muzzle-loader" ignorant here. :)

JRW

FroMan 01-02-2002 11:47 PM

RE: Two Triggers?

The back trigger on muzzleloaders is a "set" trigger. It's kinda a safety feature I guess. You have to pull the set trigger to make the other one fireable.

LARRY338 01-03-2002 04:28 AM

What Froman described is a single phase set trigger, meaning the only way to fire the gun is to set the trigger, a double phase set will fire with the front trigger alone or you can set the back trigger and fire it. The set can be adjusted to a very light pull for fine shooting where you dont want a heavy trigger.

JRW 01-03-2002 08:47 AM

So, you have to hold the rear trigger while pulling the front one?

JRW

Rem. 222 01-03-2002 09:05 AM

JRW,
What you have is a double set trigger. For a conventional trigger pull, just pull the front trigger. If you want a target or hair trigger pull, you pull or set the rear trigger. This will not cause the rifle to fire, but when you touch the front trigger it will go BOOM. That's about as clear as I can splain it.

Rem. 222

Don't feel bad I asked the same ? the first time I seen one of these.

Biteme/Paul Mohr 01-03-2002 01:45 PM

No, you don't have to hold the back trigger while pulling the front one. It is just a way of making a hair trigger a little safer. Why you would need a hair trigger on an older ML is beyond me. The ones I have shot were not accurate enough to warrant it. Might just be me though.

Good luck Paul

And by the way, it wasn't a stupid question.

Tal/IL 01-03-2002 08:00 PM

REM222 got it right on the double set triggers which you have. Most quality locks (not necessarily expensive) can be adjusted for sear engagement. I adjust the lock to get the desired trigger pull with just the front trigger.

A single set trigger is just one trigger that is pushed forward to set for a "hair trigger" pull.

Deleted User 01-04-2002 01:19 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Briman 01-04-2002 05:25 PM

Just to add to the confusion, I've seen double set/ single triggers where you push the trigger forward to set it. I can't for the life of me remember what firearm I saw this on though.

Deleted User 01-05-2002 12:08 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]