HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   $100 at pawn shop (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/254013-100-pawn-shop.html)

hunter.50 07-22-2008 09:26 PM

$100 at pawn shop

found all this for 100.00 at a pawn shop. The gun is a .54 CVA mountian stalker with synthetic/plastic stock.... any one shoot one??

hunter.50 07-22-2008 09:29 PM

RE: $100 at pawn shop

picture 2

Semisane 07-22-2008 10:40 PM

I'd say you got quite a deal. Must be something like $40 - $50 worth of supplies and acrutraments alone. How's the bore on the gun?

frontier gander 07-22-2008 10:48 PM

Hey great find! Powerbelts at cabelas for the .54 are on sale for $7 for a 20 pack! Got to look under the bargain cave and then type in powerbelt.

hunter.50 07-22-2008 10:49 PM

Bore is brite and clean,no pits or rust, looks like it was hardly ever used. Bore was easy to see with the borelight in the tackle box that came with it

gleason.chapman 07-23-2008 06:15 AM

ORIGINAL: hunter.50

found all this for 100.00 at a pawn shop. The gun is a .54 CVA mountian stalker with synthetic/plastic stock.... any one shoot one??
The fact that all this stuff is together with cleaning jag, brushes, bullets, etc shows me the previous owner knew something about MLing, therefore good chance that he took care of rifle and it would be an EXCELLENT deal. If it shoots those ShockWaves good, you have an excellent sidelock.
Chap Gleason

cayugad 07-23-2008 07:37 AM

All of that for $100.00 you did very well. I own the exact same rifle. Mine shoots a roundball excellent with 80 grains of Triple Se7en 2f powder, a wad, and a .530 patched roundball. I took three deer with it so far, and the farthest one ran was about 30 yards after being hit.

It will shoot powerbelts good. I used 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 405 grain powerbelt and it did a good job.

The sights are bad, but I replaced mine with fiber optics. Also when you get a stout load, that thing kicks like a rented mule. So I took the butt plate off the rifle. Then I stuffed a rag down the hollow stock. I then took a bag and put in 1# pound of shot and vacuum sealed the bag. I took that bag, placed it in another vacuum bag and sealed that. I then formed that into the stock. And put a old sock over all that and replaced the butt plate. That extra weight really took the bite out of that rifle. Granted it was a little heavier, but I feel it balanced the rifle some as well.

I bought mine new from Bass Pro Shop for $39.95 when they were on sale. I should have bought a couple of them as I could have made a few dollars. When I bought it, my friends really kidded me about my $39.00 rifle. Until they saw it shoot. Then one of them went and bought his son one. That kid still hunts deer with it, and takes a deer every year with it.