HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   new to black powder. Please help! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/25277-new-black-powder-please-help.html)

MJR10 03-04-2003 10:54 AM

new to black powder. Please help!

I am thinking of buying a muzzle loader, but know absolutely nothing about them. I am thinking of getting the T/C omega basically because of the name and have read some good things on them. Would it be best to get a starters kit too or are they just a waste of money? What other name brands would be best for a beginner? Looking for something around $400 or less. Thanks.
What distace are they accuarate to for an experienced shooter. My guess was going to be around 150 yards.

Tree climber 03-04-2003 12:19 PM

RE: new to black powder. Please help!

T/C is a real good gun,best warrenty in the field.that was my first B/P gun.
it just depends on how much you want to spend.

Bass Pro has a CVA mag-bolt 150 on sale,it has everything you need to get started,except powder.even a scope for the gun.they are $199.95 plus tax.
I have two of them and they are pretty good guns also,I have taken 5 deer with mine,out to about 130 yards.

traditions also has a good gun,look into them.
good luck on what you buy.

eldeguello 03-06-2003 12:58 PM

I think I' d skip the starter kit, and just buy a powder measure, bullets, powder, primers/caps, and the minimum of cleaning equipment: A cleaning rod, a muzzle protector, a jag, a bore brush, and some cleaning patches. After many years of trying various and sundry BP solvents that have come on the market, I have decided plain water is as good as anything you have to pay for. You will need something to use to preserve the bore after cleaning. Break-Free CLP or Birchwood/Casey Sheath to keep it from rusting. NEVER USE TC BORE BUTTER FOR THAT purpose!!

mysticguido 03-07-2003 09:43 AM

I have a old T/C Renagade .54cal. There is alot of fine Smokepoles out there, First thing I would do is think about what type? FlintLock, CapLock/SideLock, In-Line. the reason is some States MuzzleLoading Seasons require specal types. Like PA' s season is for FlintLock, But you can use any type for Firearm season. Good Luck. and Welcome to the World of Smokepole Hunting.

bjhuntnut 03-07-2003 02:15 PM

Hey MJR10,
Take a look at www.hr1871.com. That is NEF & HR web site. Click on Catalog and take a look at the Huntsman. It is inexpensive and a good shooting muzzleloader from all reports. I have one on order from Wal-Mart and the price is under $150. Leaves you some bucks for accessories, scope, mounts etc. It is easy to take apart and clean. Go to the Talk Forum and you can read up on what owners are saying, the good and the bad. You can use up to 100 gr.of Pyrodex, its not one of those magnum shooters but, you dont have to use any more than that anyway. Reports are that this ML likes 70 to 80 gr. of 777 also. Go over to Thompson Center and CVA sites also. Look around and enjoy[size=2][/size[font=" Arial" ][/font

mac454 03-10-2003 06:33 PM

MJR10,
I have had the good fortune of owning/shooting many makes and models of muzzleoaders and the ones that I don' t have a good friend of mine does. In my opinion you would be hard pressed to find a better muzzleloader than the Omega. In the future the Omega will be the muzzleloader others will be judged by.
You can find cheaper models and more expensive models, but when it comes right down to the nighty gritty the Omega is tops. The T/C Encore would be my 2nd choice, but it' s a little on the expensive side. My 3rd choice would be any of the Knight Disc Rifles.
I think you' ve already made the decision that you wanted an inline, by what you' re looking at. If not you should go to your local gun shop or find someone who can show you the different types of muzzleloaders. They are all fun.
And " yes" they are plenty accurate well beyond 150yds. in capable hands. It' s always good though to take a reading with a range finder before attempting any long range shots with a front stuffer.
Hope I helped you....and good luck with what ever front stuffer you choose. Keep us posted.
Keep it in the 10X

MJR10 03-19-2003 08:10 AM

Ok now that I have decided to go with the Omega, Is there a place to order them online for a good price, or would I be better off going to a local dealer to actually see what I am buying. I am not sure how it works purchasing a gun online. Thanks

Underclocked 03-19-2003 02:54 PM

It' s always better when possible to test the fit and feel of a piece before making the purchace. The best pricing I know of on the net is at http://64.224.40.78/miva/merchant.mv...zzleloaderstho but don' t know about their stock situation.

Swamp is selling a blue/black .50 NIB over at http://www.huntamerica.com/wwwthread...b=5&o=&fpart=1 He might be willing to accept a somewhat lower offer, I don' t know.

Jorgy 03-20-2003 07:00 PM

I would agree that you should go to a gun shop and check out the different muzzle loaders before you purchase any. After that give http://www.gunbroker.com a look though. I' ve bought my last 3 guns through there and have been completely satisfied! You have to buy a gun online through a FFl dealer, mine charges me $15 and I have saved atleast $100 on every gun I' ve ever bought this way.

deadshot 03-21-2003 04:37 PM

mjr the one thing i would recommend is that since you are going to purchase a inline, instead of a powder measure flask an such i would use pyrodex pellets a lot less mess to have to deal with an you can pretty much customize your loads