Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 No-Excuses Test and New 700ML >

No-Excuses Test and New 700ML

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

No-Excuses Test and New 700ML

Old 07-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default No-Excuses Test and New 700ML

Saturday I went to the range in hopes of finding a conical that I can use on my CO elk hunt this year. Although I’ve hunted w/MLs for about 10 years now I never really shot conicals all that much so this area is kind of new to me. My intentions were to shoot them in both my Genesis and my new 700ML that I just bought last week.

I didn’t have much time and it started pouring down rain as soon as I got there so I only was able to shoot the 460g No-Excuses. They were extremely loose-so loose in fact that I would never hunt with them because I’m fairly sure that they’d slip of the charge w/out too much effort. Surprisingly enough, even with them not fitting properly, they both shot about 2 inches in both the Genesis and the 700ML. (sorry no pics, when I went to take it off the board it was soaked and tore in to pieces)I figured they’d be about the size of a paper plate w/as easy as they went down. Oh well the search continues. I’m going to try some 410g Great Plains and the new Hornady bullet if I can confirm that they are legal in CO. I’ve heard that if you take the tip off it makes them legal but the guy I talked to from the CDOW said that the bullet itself wasn’t. I was really hoping that the No-Excuses would have worked because everyone speaks very highly of them.

Right before I left I did shoot three 300g XTPs in a Crush Rib from the 700ML just to see if it liked sabots. It defiantly shows promise. I by no means am a good shooter w/open sites so I was impressed. It’s the 24in version and it still has the Remington version of the 209 so I’m going to convert it to the Cabela’s before too long. The trigger is very crisp-absolutely no creep in it and breaks at 4 lbs.

700ML
80g 777 2f
.452 300g XTP MAG
Crush Rib
CCI
No swabbing between shots
50 Yards
Old 07-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: No-Excuses Test and New 700ML

It's a pity Bull Shop is on break. You could surely shoota .504 diameter conical with good results.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Dominant Buck

If you get back to the range, give them No Excuses a wrap of teflon tape and try them again. It will tighten them in the bore for you. You might put a wad under them as well.

As for the group you got displayed there.. WOW!!! that is some good shooting.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

TNHagies

I bet you are really going to like the Rem... I have two of them and I just can not get myself to let go of them. Mine are SS but those Dougas barrels are the same metal they used for a regular centerfire Model 700.

With the ml make sure you get yourself a model 700 bolt tool. You really need to clean the interior of the bolt and hammer spring especially shooting the Remington 209 nipple. There is a possibility that the current hammer spring might not work well after a period of time, especially when shooting percussion caps.

Good luck with the gun and UC is right as usual the Bull Shop .504/460's fit just right and are certainly Elk stoppers... Much more accurate and deadly than any of the Hornady conicals...

If you wanna try some .504's - PM your address and I will send you a couple or three...

Old 07-14-2008, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is beautiful at 50 yards TNHagies. Definite promise. I believe if a Powerbelt is legal in CO that a Harvester Sabertooth is also, you may want to try one of those. Best Wishes, Chap
Old 07-14-2008, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

It's a pity Bull Shop is on break. You could surely shoota .504 diameter conical with good results.
When I first started this endevor that was my first pick but I checked out his website and seen that he wasn't taking any more orders for a while. A shame for sure.

ORIGINAL: cayugad

If you get back to the range, give them No Excuses a wrap of teflon tape and try them again. It will tighten them in the bore for you. You might put a wad under them as well.
Doesn't hurt to try. I'll give it a whirl the next time I'm out.

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

TNHagies

With the ml make sure you get yourself a model 700 bolt tool. You really need to clean the interior of the bolt and hammer spring especially shooting the Remington 209 nipple. There is a possibility that the current hammer spring might not work well after a period of time, especially when shooting percussion caps.

If you wanna try some .504's - PM your address and I will send you a couple or three...

That's on my list. It's sure not fun trying to take it down. I gave it real good cleanin' when I got it and it was quite nasty in there. Sat afternoon broke the bolt down again and it wasn't near as bad obviously but you can tell it'll have to be cleaned everytime it's shot.

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

That is beautiful at 50 yards TNHagies. Definite promise. I believe if a Powerbelt is legal in CO that a Harvester Sabertooth is also, you may want to try one of those. Best Wishes, Chap
The Sabertooth's are on my list to try. Gotta hurry though, Sept is almost here!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also have 2 Remington 700 ML's. One a 50 cal and the other a 54 both stainless.
I got my bolt cleaning tool from Gander Mountian after trying a local gun shop.
It was $10.00 and tax.

They both shoot just about anything you can stuff down the bore well. I like the Speer 300gr.Gold Dot in the green MMP sabots in the 50 with 80gr. T7.
The 54 I like the Speer 300gr.HP 50 cal Gold Dots in it with 100gr. T7.

Al
Old 07-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Second picture was supposed to be the back of the package. shows the tool better along with the wipeing cloth.

Al
Old 07-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ahh, yeah gonna have to get me one of those! On a side note, I forgot to mention this, the day after I got the 700ML I threw 30g of BH 209 down the barrel and a sabot stepped out of the back of the house just to see if it'd go off. A very noticable delay on both attempts.(CCI primer) Again this is with the Rem version of the 209. I would assume that the Cabela's would be better. However, I think someone on here said that they tried it and was getting so much blowback it was recocking the bolt. That doesn't sound good. I don't mind having to shoot 777 but it'd be nice if I could get BH to shoot in it.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you know which version of the No Excuses you ordered? He can size it to more than one diameter, I know he has .500 and .503, maybe more. I got good results from the .503 in 2 of my guns and even though they loaded almost as easy as a powerbelt they stayed on the load unless I bounce the muzzle on the ground. That would move almost any bullet off the load in most guns. You probably should slug your bores to verify what size they are, then order the bullets one ortwo thousanths larger than the bore diameter.

Quick Reply: No-Excuses Test and New 700ML

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.