Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Background check?

Old 07-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Spike

Default Background check?

I live in KS. Is there a background check when buying a black powder rifle or revolver? If so, what do they look for? I've done alittle checking and it seems that Black powder guns are pretty much exempt from the typical requirements. Yes?

Old 07-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Background check?

I could not say what your state regulations are, but the rifle I bought the other day at a gun shop... I handed him the money and he handed me the rifle.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Background check?

The Federal background check does not apply to "antique firearms" as defined by the Gun Control Act of 1968. That definition is as follows.

(16) The term "antique firearm" means:
(A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or
(B) any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica:
(i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or
(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or (C) any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition.For purposes of this subparagraph, the term "antique firearm" shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.

This is what the background check is looking for.

(1) is under indictment for, or has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
(2) is a fugitive from justice;
(3) is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802));
(4) has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution;
(5) who, being an alien:(A) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States;or
(B) except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(26));
(6) who has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
(7) who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his citizenship;
(8) is subject to a court order that restrains such person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of such person or child of such intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child, except that this paragraph shall only apply to a court order that:
(A) was issued after a hearing of which such person received actual notice, and at which such person had the opportunity to participate;and
(B) (i) includes a finding that such person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of such intimate partner or child;or
(ii) by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against such intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury;or
(9) has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

As Cayugad stated, you should check your local/state laws also.

You can read the Gun Control Act of 1968 on the NRA web site at http://www.nraila.org/federalfirearms.htm