Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Muzzleloader scope >

Muzzleloader scope

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader scope

Old 07-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Spike

Default Muzzleloader scope

What would be a good muzzleloader scope? I notice the nikon omega has a longer eye relief than most standard hunting scopes. Is it a good idea to choose a scope with a longer eye relief? It will be going on a TC Omega.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Muzzleloader scope

i put a cheap ($120.00) Bushnell Dusk & Dawn 3-9x40mm on my ML and have had no problems. if you go this route, get their shotgun/muzzle loader version because i believe it has the longer eye relief (not positive though). i would like to have put better glass on it but i ran out of money. so far i can't complain, it is bright, clear and witheld p.o.i.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Nikon, Bushnell, Burris,Leupold are all good scopes. Depending on what you want to spend is the issue and what you want the scope to do. When I look at a scope I want 3-1/2 inch eye relief minimum. The better the glass the more they cost, although there are some good bargins out there.

If you shoot extreme ranges where you hunt, then you might want to go with a 3-9x40mm in the mentioned scopes. I personally like the 2-7x32mm scopes. They are all the scopes I think I need.

Scopes I use are the Nikon Pro Sport, Bushnell 3200 Elite, and I have a Sightron 1 which is also a good scope. If you need the bullet drop compensator then you would want to look at the Nikon Omega or one of the Burris maybe.

Leupold makes a lower end scope called the Rifleman but it has good glass, excellent clarity, and being a Leupold does not hurt it either. Although I was told they were made in China. Whether that is true I could not say.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am a TC person my self and have an Omega; if that Omega has a synthetic stock get at least 4" eye relief the laminated stocks are a bit better as they are better balanced, also check the trigger pull length if it is short then put in a spacer these are the things that keep scope eye away, personally I add a bit of weight to the synthetic stock myself. Lee
Old 07-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely recommend getting 3.5" or more eye relief. 4" is better.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Then again, I had a Bushnell with about 6 inches of eye relief and that was too much. The nice thing about a muzzleloader, it will remind you if you are not holding the rifle proper when the scope comes back and smacks you between the eyes.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:43 PM

i only have 2 scopes and both are bushnell banner and the other is a bushnell trophy. Both are clear and shoot accurately.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would think of buying one of the major named scopes in their shotgun/BP scope models. I had an Encore that broke a Bushnell Elite 3200 and a Burris Fullfield II. I had tosend themback to the factory for repair. I ended up putting a less expensive Bushnell Banner BP scope on and it had worked on the Encore and also a NEF Sidekick for about five years now.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

I now have a Leupold VX1 3x9x40mm on my Encore. Before that, I had a fixed 2.5x Bushnell. Both work very well!
Old 07-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Nikon Pro Staff in 2x7x32. I have three,1 on my CVA, 1 on my Kight KRB,and one on my 1187 slug gun. Good scope for the $125.

Quick Reply: Muzzleloader scope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.