HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Blasting a Bison (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/251455-blasting-bison.html)

cayugad 07-03-2008 01:43 PM

Blasting a Bison

Today I decided to shoot something I hadn't shot in a while. I had removed the scope from my White Bison in .504 so I had no notes as to how well it shot with the open sights that came with it.

The White Bison is considered the bottom of the line in the White Rifles. If there is a bottom of the line. The Bison was a meat and potatoes hunting rifle. Wood stock made of Myrtle wood, and nothing fancy. Even the sights are very basic.

So I set up at 35 yards and figured I should be able to hit the cardboard off a pizza from the other night.. I put some duct tape to give me a point of aim and then loaded.

I forgot to even wipe the oil out of the barrel. I loaded 70 grains of Pyrodex P, a felt .510 wad, and then a 560 grain Bull Shop conical. Using a RWS #11 cap I touched it off...

I was pretty pleased with the group there.. so I then loaded up with the same powder charge, the same wad but changed over to a .503 460 grain Bull Shop conical.

At no time did I swab the barrel. I just loaded and shot as fast as I could. I never kept count of the number of shots I fired, but it seemed to lay them in there pretty good.

I then moved a piece of tape to the edge of the cardboard and this time shot some of the 460 grain conicals but had ran out of wads...

It seems to shoot well even without wads. This short rifle will make a good stalking and tree stand rifle. I moved the scope off it and might just leave it like that...

spaniel 07-03-2008 02:03 PM

RE: Blasting a Bison

I always preferred a light, short, simple open-sighted gun for the woods. Took my first couple dozen deer with a ML using a $109 Traditions Deerhunter.

coryj 07-03-2008 02:07 PM

Nice shooting Cayugad. Those White's never cease to amaze me with how well they shoot conicals. Their price range is keeping me out of the game for the time being, I keep finding deals on sidelocks, but I wouldn't mind having a White someday.

Keep up the good shooting!

oldsmellhound 07-03-2008 02:24 PM

Nice shooting! I'm guessing that the recoil from the 560 grainers is interesting to say the least:)

Semisane 07-03-2008 02:38 PM

Oh sure, it's a nice carrying rifle. And those 560s shoot real well. But, is thatenough bullet for white tails? ;)

cayugad 07-03-2008 02:39 PM

Whites are well made, and the recoil was not all that bad. Noticeable mind you, but nothing anyone would complain about. I'd sure hate to be on the receiving end of that 560 grain bullet. It might not be going very fast, but I am sure the down range energy would be something else.

TNHagies 07-03-2008 02:42 PM

Sheesh, don't worry about accuracycayugad, you could probably hit a deer in the hoof w/those 560 BS' and still kill it:D

cayugad 07-03-2008 03:02 PM

:D:D:D they are a good size chunk of lead. I figured for Semisane's sake I better get something large to shoot as if I hunted with a .451 caliber (as I was kind of planning)and a 460 grain conical he would fret and worry all season about me being run over by the wild Wisconsin Whitetail because I was under gunned.

cascadedad 07-03-2008 03:11 PM

Hey Dave, I can't see your pictures, but I'm sure the shooting is great as usual! I think you and Sabotloader both got bionic eyes installed a few years ago!!!!

You mention your Bison has a myrtle wood stock. Is it painted or finished? (Again, I can't see your pictures. Sorry if it is there.) Either way, you may have apretty nice looking stock if you strip it and refinish. I've seen some beautiful myrtle wood. If it is super plain and light, I wonder if it is actually birch.

cayugad 07-03-2008 03:52 PM

I took the Nikon scope off and mounted that on a White .451. That stock looks composite or synthetic but it is wood. Who ever finished it did an excellent job as if you did not take the barrel out of the stock, you would never know it is Myrtle wood. It is painted but I can not figure out what kind of paint it is. It's not a Latex or oil base. It's almost like a plastic paint if there is such a thing. And the rifle has a good firm grip. I honestly thought it was composite when I bought it. Take the barrel out and you can see the wood down where the locking lug goes...