Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blasting a Bison

Old 07-03-2008, 04:24 PM

Default RE: Blasting a Bison

I think my Lightning has a similar paint job. Unfortunately the stock is birch and is SOFT. Have to be real careful not to ding the stock up. If I had a myrtle wood stock, at some point I would try to get the paint off and refinish.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

they are a good size chunk of lead. I figured for Semisane's sake I better get something large to shoot as if I hunted with a .451 caliber (as I was kind of planning)and a 460 grain conical he would fret and worry all season about me being run over by the wild Wisconsin Whitetail because I was under gunned.
I guess the 460 will do Cayugad. At least you got a pass through on that pizza cardboard.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Dominant Buck

cascadedad.. is that lightening a good shooter? I saw a White on sale on Gun Broker and it was not a G series. I thought it was a Lightening. I even considered trying to purchase it, but changed my mind. I have enough Whites..
Old 07-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

They make a big hole. I like that. Good shooting Dave.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

cascadedad.. is that lightening a good shooter? I saw a White on sale on Gun Broker and it was not a G series. I thought it was a Lightening. I even considered trying to purchase it, but changed my mind. I have enough Whites..
I check the sites for Whites from time to time but mostly see the Whitetails. Do you ever see the Thunderbolts for sale? That's what I'd prefer to have.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: TNHagies

I check the sites for Whites from time to time but mostly see the Whitetails. Do you ever see the Thunderbolts for sale? That's what I'd prefer to have.
I do not own a Thunderbolt, but from reading the posts of many of the White Rifle owners that DO know everything and anything about White Rifles.. of all the rifles they LIKE THE LEAST, it would have to be the Thunderbolt. Not for accuracy reasons, but because of cleaning reasons... Like I said I have no experience with them. The best White from what I have read about, is the Super 91-II and if legal, in a .451 caliber. The favorite of mine has to be the M97 Ultra Mag and then I really like my M97 .451.Although this Bison I got used and is in a little ruff shape in the bore, but seems to still be a good shooter.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TNHagies

I do not own a Thunderbolt, but from reading the posts of many of the White Rifle owners that DO know everything and anything about White Rifles.. of all the rifles they LIKE THE LEAST, it would have to be the Thunderbolt. Not for accuracy reasons, but because of cleaning reasons... Like I said I have no experience with them. The best White from what I have read about, is the Super 91-II and if legal, in a .451 caliber. The favorite of mine has to be the M97 Ultra Mag and then I really like my M97 .451.Although this Bison I got used and is in a little ruff shape in the bore, but seems to still be a good shooter.
That would make sense as most bolt actions are harder to clean. I'm just not sure if I like the cocking mecanism on left side for right handed guns... seems akward to me. Perhaps I could get used to it. From what I can tell, you're lucky to find one nowadays so don't guess I can be too picky.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

560gr bullet, for some reason my bad shoulder started hurting.

great shooting cayugad, as always.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Dominant Buck

That left handed cocking lever is funny. I never thought I would get used to it. Now when I shoot my Black Diamond XR or my Staghorn... I find myself reaching to the left side of the receiver and feeling around for the cocking lever.