Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Sighted in the new T/C Encore !! Your thoughts >

Sighted in the new T/C Encore !! Your thoughts

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sighted in the new T/C Encore !! Your thoughts

Old 07-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default Sighted in the new T/C Encore !! Your thoughts

Shot the T/C Encore today for the first time. Just wanted to get an idea of how much powder and what bullets people use. I shot today 100gr of Triple 7 with a 245gr Powerbelt Bullets. I was dead on at 50 yards and2 inches high at a 100.....

Question #1 - What do you think of that load for deer ? I was thinking of 150gr with the same bullet, but not sure so I thought I would check here.Also, whatare your thoughts if this were a load used for Mule Deer,I would think that the 150 gr of powder would be needed?

Question #2 - For elk, I thought 295 gr bullet with the 150gr of Triple 7..am I on the right track

Now I do know that every gun will shoot a different load combination different and to fine tune it, I will need to play around. Just for know, I am trying to establish a starting point and get various opinions.

Thanks

Old 07-02-2008, 03:13 PM

Default RE: Sighted in the new T/C Encore !! Your thoughts

[ol][*]wrong load for that 245g powerbelt.[/ol]
Use the 300g platinum if you are going to waste money on that extra 50 grain pellet.

295 150g for elk again, Wrong.

150 grain loads is way over rated and most of it doesnt even burn. What you're doing is buying into a scam to use up more powder, therefore, you will be buying more.

Switch to loose powder and if you use the 245g powerbelt for Mule deer, use a maximum of 80 grains. Remember that t7 is 15% hotter so it will work to being equal of 93 grains BL/Pyrodex.

For elk, 338 platinum with 90-100 grains, 348 aerotip with 90, 405 aerotip with everything from 80-90 and 100 grains, I prefer 80 grains pyrodex select as it mushrooms nicely and leaves a stem. I dont see any need for more powder. The 444g flat point powerbelt is also a huge winner.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Spike

405 gr. powerbelt in front of 70 gr. 2F or Pyrodex.
This is the original load for the 45-70 US Gov't.
No one ever said that this is not enough for deer or elk.
If theanimal is too far, get closer.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: elkhuntinut

Shot the T/C Encore today for the first time. Just wanted to get an idea of how much powder and what bullets people use. I shot today 100gr of Triple 7 with a 245gr Powerbelt Bullets. I was dead on at 50 yards and2 inches high at a 100.....

Question #1 - What do you think of that load for deer ? I was thinking of 150gr with the same bullet, but not sure so I thought I would check here.Also, whatare your thoughts if this were a load used for Mule Deer,I would think that the 150 gr of powder would be needed?

Question #2 - For elk, I thought 295 gr bullet with the 150gr of Triple 7..am I on the right track

Now I do know that every gun will shoot a different load combination different and to fine tune it, I will need to play around. Just for know, I am trying to establish a starting point and get various opinions.

Thanks
If you can shoot another bullet other than PB, do so, they fragment at high speed. If you live in CO, then follow Frontier Gander's advice. Best Wishes, Chap
Old 07-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Check outCabela's 375 grainBuffalo Sabot
and be sure toread the 5 star reviews.
At $18.99 for 36 of them, the price is great too.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat200005&id=0020974214556a&navCount=1&amp ;podId=0020974214556&parentId=cat200005&ma sterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IJ& amp;rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20000 5

Oh, are you hunting Colorado? [:@]
Old 07-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Dominant Buck

If you live in a State that does not allow sabots, then the powerbelts might be your only choice. Pushing them fast, our test expert Frontier Gander discovered they splatter and that a moderate load makes them deadly... Sometimes more is not better, but shoot what is most accurate.

If your state does allow sabots, pick up some 250 grain Shockwaves and try them with 100 and 150 grains of pellets. I think you will be happy with the accuracy and the down range energy. Also be sure to swab between shots.

Good luck with your rifle.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto some of the other posts. 150 grains of powder is WAY too much for the 245 or 295 grain Powerbelt. If you want to stick with the powerbelts, use loose powder and 60 - 80 grains of 777.

If you want a more powerful load, use sabots (if legal where you hunt) such as XTP's, SST's, many selections from Precision rifle, and many, many more. Use up to 110 grains or so of 777 loose, though 80-100 grains is usually plenty.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone is telling you the same thing, and what they are saying is:

If you push powerbelts (or any pure lead conical for that matter) too hard, it will come apart at the first big sign of resistance and you will NOT be pleased with the result.

I know, it is hard to believe, because we are used to shooting new generation bullets that will hold together at high speeds. Powerbelts WILL NOT

Fact: 90-100 grains of any blackpowder equivalent will kill quicker with a pure lead conical than 150 grain with the same conical up to and including elk.

AND, if you are like me, you will shoot more accurately at 100 grains than at 150 grains due to the reduced recoil.

And in my experience with my Omega, powerbelts won't shoot very accurately above 100 grains of powder, at least not in my gun.

My two elk loads with my Omega have been a 405 powerbelt with 90 grains of ffg 777 and a 338 grain platinum with 95 grains of ffg 777. Another one that worked was 100-105 grains of pryodex select with both of those bullets.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

txhunter58
My Omega loves those 245 gr power belts it has shot good groups at 90 100 and 150 gr RS I shot a coyote in the ribs with 150 gr it blew bits of coyote all over the hill side but nothing broke the hide on the far side the coyote was only 20 yds away so I know exactly where I hit him had a hole the size of a coffee cup where it hit him.
If you can not use a good saboted bullet there are a number of options, I like real bullets, there are a number of good conicals available like Bull shops and No Excuses, and the ones that shoot best in my TC guns[ Omega and Triumph and System One] are the Sabortooth and if you want you can make the PB's work by lowering the load as Gander said or by filling the hollow point with solder or copper will allow you to use more powder.
I would suggest 300+ gr as minium I would not use less than 350 myself they say [I have not gotten any myself yet] on some of the forums that the new hollow base Hornady is well liked by some.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:35 PM

I got lucky today when i was sighting in my omega. I caught a couple 370g maxiballs. Now these i would have figured that you could drive them easily with 100 grains because they were a solid bullet.
Well with 80 grains pyro P, the base pushed up and pushed out of the lead a pretty good deal around the bullet.
Just goes to show ya that all pure lead conicals have their limits.

I'll see if i can find the other one. I put it down and then forgot about it.

Quick Reply: Sighted in the new T/C Encore !! Your thoughts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.