Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 muzzleloader hunting >

muzzleloader hunting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

muzzleloader hunting

Old 07-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default muzzleloader hunting

ok i am getting a ml this year a tc triumph

should i go at it like bow hunting get in the woods and draw the deer in 20 to 50 yards or say set up in a field they eat out of and set up for a 50 to 150 yard shot

also what other things do you guys change or not worry about as much when going from bow to ml
Old 07-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: muzzleloader hunting

First of all, welcome to the world of muzzleloading!

There are a lot of ways to go about hunting with a ML. You certainly can set up like you do for bowhunting and take close range shots. Though with a TC triumph you certainly could shoot a lot, lot further - 150+ yards with a scope and the right load. A lot of guys use a more primitive ML (sidelock or flintlock) with a patched round ball or conical - with this type of setup, it is a little more like bowhunting (i.e. closer range, have to wait more for the right shot, etc.).

If you're set on the Triumph, personally I would recommend getting a decent scope and work up a good long-range load, then go hunting over a field. If you elect to hunt "bow style" at close range, make sure that your load is appropriate for close ranges. In other words, don't use a light, fragile bullet with a magnum powder charge and then shoot a deer from 20 yards away.

TC's tend to like saboted rounds, so I would get a couple packs of Shockwaves or SST's, maybe a pack of XTP's along with some loose powder and try and work up a load.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

That depends a lot on you and your capabilities. I have places where I have the same opportunity I all ways go with where I expect to get the most shots. Lee
Old 07-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Dominant Buck

With a scoped T/C Triumph and a good load, you have a 200 yard rifle. You can hunt anywhere you want. Just practice, know your load, and be able to place your shot. The rest is just a matter of getting cooperation with the deer to show up. That seems to be my problem as of late.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Like the other guys said. Know both your rifle's and your limitations for a clean humane kill.
On the other hand, I do both too, and i like getting in close or having them get in close to me. The closer the more the adreneline gets pumping. Of course I prefer to hunt with a sidelock and open sights. Not that I have anything against those new fangled in-line rifles. Just not my cup of tea so to speak. So get out there and practice using different bullets, powders, charges, until you find your rifle's pet load.
And oh yeah, welcome and have a blast.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanks guys i plan to go with the bdc nikon omega scope for the triumph as tc said nothing change when it comes to bdc from the omega to the triumph same type of gun just that the triumph breaks

maybe someday i will go with a flintlock to go more trad. i did see a flintluck kit where you built stained the gun i will be one of those some day for a wall hander
Old 07-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

ok i am getting a ml this year a tc triumph

should i go at it like bow hunting get in the woods and draw the deer in 20 to 50 yards or say set up in a field they eat out of and set up for a 50 to 150 yard shot

also what other things do you guys change or not worry about as much when going from bow to ml
First welcome, if you love bow hunting you will love MLing, because it is a lot like bow hunting--1 shot with a bow within 30 yards was my rule, but you can shoot further. Shoot a strong good bullet---Nosler Partition 300g, Barnes TMZ, MZ, TSX 300g Flatnose 300g, Speer Gold Dot 300g, 300g Shockware are all good strong bullets. Sight in 3" high at 100 and your shooting thru a 6" pipe from 0 to approximately 175 yards. Most ML shots are between 50 and 100, you can certainly go more primative than a TC Triumph, say with a sidelock or a FL, with open sights, then your effective range is 75 yards, with a scope it is 150. I have a 3-9 Bushnell Elite 3200on my Savage and also on my Omega. I have open sights on a Knight Disc and on a TC Flintlock. Mling is fun 'because you must wait for the perfect shot like bow hunting, but you can do it further. This year I plan on hunting MLer season with my Omega and during rifle season switching over to Smokeless and shooting my Savage. Both my MLers are more accurate than my 30-06. I like MLing better than bow hunting now, in fact this year I am not planning on bow hunting, just to save my buck tags (I usually get a small buck and waste a tag). Welcome, you got a learning curve to go thru, but your a bow hunting so most stuff you already know--shot placement, stand placement, blood trailing, etc. In Va MLer season opens during the peak of the rut and goes for 2 weeks PRIOR to rifle season, which is open for two weeks in the entire state and 7 weeks in my county. So MLing in VA is the way to go.
Chap