Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Thomson Center question(s) >

Thomson Center question(s)

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thomson Center question(s)

Old 06-24-2008, 09:03 AM

Default Thomson Center question(s)

First, I appoligies if this has been asked before, but here it goes. I am in the market for a ML, and I am convinced that I want a TC. The question or questions are, what would be the better buy, a Triumph, or should I purchase a ML barrel. I own an Pro Hunter in 7mm-08, so I can change barrels. Also, does anyone have experience with the Katadhin 20 inch ML barrel, and would that be a good choice. I ask because of the short barrel and less weight would be handy in the woods. Mostly hunt PA deer. It seems that all three options are around the same cost for new. Is one option better than the other...Any help would be great. This will be my first adventure into MLs.

R1
Old 06-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Thomson Center question(s)

Consider this.. do you want a dedicated muzzleloader? If you do, then the Triumph with some of the new features would make an excellent choice. While the short barrels are nice in the woods and in tree stands, you can make a 26 or 28 inch barrel work just as well. Plus with optics it makes a nice modern day season rifle as well.

With a muzzleloader there is not a lot of snap shooting I find, because you know that once you pull the trigger, if you miss the game is up. I find myself slowing down and planning the shot, or just passing it up, smiling and calling it part of the game.

I would go with the Triumph and if you enjoy that, what's to say down the road you don't get a barrel for the Pro Hunter or the other rifle... never have enough rifles.

Still, you need to ask yourself, how well do you like the fit of the Pro Hunter? If you do, and it carries and handles nice, then a barrel for that might be a good choice as well.

You're the only one that can answer what you really want, but I can understand your question. I look at rifles all the time and scratch my head and talk myself out of buying them....
Old 06-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 24' 50 cal barrel for my Encore and love it,killed two deer with it last season,but I love having dedicated ML's as well,ie percusion and flintlock which you cant get for the pro hunter.If I just wanted in line I'd get a barrel for the PH but like Dave said,Cant have to many.
Good luck
Old 06-24-2008, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: saxman1

I have a 24' 50 cal barrel for my Encore and love it,killed two deer with it last season,but I love having dedicated ML's as well,ie percusion and flintlock which you cant get for the pro hunter.If I just wanted in line I'd get a barrel for the PH but like Dave said,Cant have to many.
Good luck
I am sure you like the feel of your Pro hunter or you wouldn't have it any longer. Best option is to buy another barrel and great scope for the Pro Hunter. My brother has an Encore and lives in Pa, he bought it to hunt in NY during shotgun season there, but he uses it now in both PA and NY. He has a 300 Win Mag barrel, but does not use it. So prepare yourself to be a ML hunter instead of a CF hunter.
Me, I hunt a Savage in NY and Va and Flintlock in Pa, saving my tag for the late season.
Chap Gleason