Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Thinking about a sidelock, any recommendations? >

Thinking about a sidelock, any recommendations?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thinking about a sidelock, any recommendations?

Old 06-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default Thinking about a sidelock, any recommendations?

I've had the urge for a sidelock for a bit now but, recently, it's been getting a bit stronger. I've looked around at some used T/C hawkens and renegades but any other suggestions that won't break the bank? I'm leaning towards a .54 caliber. I'm wanting something that I can shoot conicals and PRB out of.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:50 AM

Default RE: Thinking about a sidelock, any recommendations?

How much are you looking at to spend Chris ?

Ron
Old 06-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

for the price, a TC hawken or renegade(pretty much a dressed down hawken) are hard to beat...also hear pretty good things about Lyman rifles...and RMC as well...other than them 3, i wouldnt buy any other factory sidelocks off the top of my head...

if your trying to save cash you can often find GREAT used steals...i paid like 235 for my tc hawken and it was CLEAN as could be....if you know things to look for, you can pick up a great used rifle alot cheaper than new...i had no idea new hawkens went for 600+

good luck....once you are struck with sidelock fever you will wonder why you didnt get into it earlier!
Old 06-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Dominant Buck

With your desire to shoot roundball and concicals, I would suggest the barrel have a 1-48 twist. Because the rifle is so versitile, as far as additional barrels to change the rifle's characterstics down the road, I would suggest a .54 caliber Renegade or T/C Hawkins. Then if down the road you wanted a fast twist or a shotgun, a simple Green Mountain Barrel will have you doing all of that as well.

Watch the auction sites. Used ones show up on them and can be picked up reasonable.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

How big is the bank???

These are the best, if you are handy... www.flintlocks.com

Get a .54 with a slow round ball twist and you won't need conicals...
Old 06-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lyman Trade Rifle . It has a 1:48 twist. Shoots roundballs well, but is very accurate with shorter conicals like the LEE R.E.A.L. 320 grain.
It won't break the bank at around $300. Are you looking for a flinter or percussion? If it's your first sidelock, a percussion is fairly widely recommended.
http://www.dnrsports.com/acatalog/D___R_Catalog_Lyman_Muzzleloaders_649.html
Old 06-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

I have two renegades a flint and a percussion both if .50 Both are great guns and can be found for a reasonable price. If I were you I would buy a .50 if I found one for a good price and you can always get a gm barrel later.

I haven't shot a lyman, but I've heard good things. I bought an older cva percussion gun in .50 and it turned out to be one heckuva shooter with conicals.

Keep an eye on the auction sites and check your local shops. The inline craze has put alot of sidelocks in the used gun racks at decent prices.

You may as well go ahead and buy two, that should help with the addiction for a little while, but it won't be enough.

Good luck.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

For hunting or long range target it is hard to beat a 54 cal Renagade, the stock shape is much easier on you than a Hawken. If you want it for close range plinking or target a 45 cal Hawken. The Renagade with an after market 1 in 66 or 1 in 70 twist 32 to 36 inches long is top notch for hunting I have taken large bear elk deer and boar amounge other things with one. Lee
Old 06-11-2008, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the replies. As of last night, I've got adeal pendingon a .54 T/C renegade with a26", 1:48 twist barrel. It'll be mine in a couple of weeks .This will be my first sidelock MZ. I hunta lot of thick cedar brush areashere in middle TN and I figure this rifle, with a good roundball load, will be just the ticket. Anyone got any load suggestions?
Old 06-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot 80grs of Goex FFF in my custom flintock, with a .018 pillow ticking patch and homemade lube...

Quick Reply: Thinking about a sidelock, any recommendations?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.