HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   WARNING!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/246053-warning.html)

Semisane 05-14-2008 11:01 AM

WARNING!!!

If someone does not start posting some range reports with target pictures I WILL BE HANDING OUT HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENTS AGAIN.

frontier gander 05-14-2008 11:07 AM

RE: WARNING!!!

Shaddup! Im getting my stuff together now and going to test those 405g powerbelts.

nchawkeye 05-14-2008 11:11 AM

I hate to embarrass you guys with my targets.......:D:D:D

Semisane 05-14-2008 11:12 AM

Yery good gander. Your dedication may save the rest of the class.

TNHagies 05-14-2008 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Semisane

If someone does not start posting some range reports with target pictures I WILL BE HANDING OUT HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENTS AGAIN.
You're gettin' the same rain we are... Gotta find a time when the range is open and it's not pourin' down.Hopefully this weekend. I got lots more BH 209 to test. I did fill 3 speedloaders the other day and shot behind the house and I must say, if I can get it to group like other powders I will be using it from now on. 3 wet patches, 2 dry and 1 lightly oiled one and it was done.

HuntAway 05-14-2008 11:36 AM

Poor men have to work to play. [:@]

I'll play Sat if it isn't raining like forecasted.:(

I'll be using the GPR with a reduced load 70-75 3f.

frontier gander 05-14-2008 11:57 AM

I like those big 405's so far! I took 3 shots and lost one bullet that hit to the right and went completely through my sand box which was filled to the brim with wet sand. I stopped the 80g charge bullet with 15" of sand. The other 100g charge went 18" before hitting a big rock i had in the very back that was plugging up a hole. Thats the only way i stopped it.

Im going to take a few more shots and report back with pictures.

My last 3 shots @ 58 yards were all touching.

lemoyne 05-14-2008 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

I hate to embarrass you guys with my targets.......:D:D:D
me to. Lee

frontier gander 05-14-2008 12:45 PM

Heres a few. Left bullet was driven with 80g pyrodex select, 90g PS,100G PS, 58 yards. The very last shot with 100g ps went through 20+ inches of wet sand and i found it a few yards behind the sand box.

the first 90g charge is the one that hit the rock "Middle" I suspect this one a 90g charge and not the 100g charge as originally stated in my previous post. It has a lot of lead built up in the center which tells me this was driven slower and wasnt pushed fast enough to expand as greatly as the 100g charge.

I pulled out the tip of the 80g charge to see how much the bullet compressed and you can see that it did the classic mushroom but did not mushroom no where near as much.

80g is my comfortable load, those other charges just kick the chit out of me and when its doing that, You... Or atleast I, often find myself flinching in the field with a load like that.
They will hold up with 100g PS @ 20 yards easily.

Happy now Semi? Gives you something to read and look at for a bit :D I'll take the GPR out later and report back.

goatbrother 05-14-2008 12:56 PM

Ok Ok

I hate purple dinosoars by the way.

3 shots, 50 yds, 460 grain custom gas check bullet, 60 grains T7 ffg, RWS 1075 cap, White Javalina pistol w/scope.

corey012778 05-14-2008 01:07 PM

I am working 3rd shift. sleeping habits are funk up right now.

Semisane 05-14-2008 01:27 PM

Thank you gander and goatbrother for saving us all from mid-week picture post withdrawal.

Hey BarneyKiller, that's a fantastic gun. What's the recoil like with those big hunks of lead?

dmurphy317 05-14-2008 01:45 PM

I posted my "homework" over the weekend thank you very much. :) But as in school, homework never ends so I will post some more when I get a chance to go to the range again.

I need to get some of those Barney targets for my kids, they both have grown to dislike that purple.... whatever.

tcshooter 05-14-2008 01:57 PM

goatbrother, that's quite a pistola you've got there!

As for tests, or at least pics, I should be at the range in the next couple of days. Maybe I'll have something to post then.

burntmuch 05-14-2008 03:31 PM

Im trying to get to the range. I actually had my guns in the truck. Was gonna shoot in the morning after work. Got 8 hrs overtime offered to me. [:@]Gotta feed the kids. Little brats Who needs 3 meals a day anyway[:@]. Just kiddin
Hopefully in the next couple days.

dmurphy317 05-14-2008 03:42 PM

NO, NO, NO Burntmuch, the overtime is for shooting supplies not food for snotty nosed rugrats. :)

At least until they get as big as mine and can gang up on you. I have a 14 and 17 year old, both boys and theyoungest one is now 6'+ and the other is pushing 6' 9". Mancan they put away some groceries. I definately understand the need for overtime.

goatbrother 05-14-2008 11:48 PM

The knuckles of my left hand hurt for a week after shooting, I need a glove with a padded back. Once I forgot my powder measure and use a empty 45acp case, figured it held 20 grains so I put 3 cases full of T7, holly mother of god, it about jumped out of my hands, got home and measured a 45 case, it held 30 grains, so I had loaded 90 grains of powder. The gun can handle even more but I can't.

corey012778 05-15-2008 05:12 AM

mr sane, I may break down on friday and go to the range (if the weather does not crap on me again). if not monday.

frontier gander 05-17-2008 10:17 PM

Boy, has it been slow on here or what?! Whats goin on out there? You all snowed in still or just gettin slower at getting out of bed? :D

corey012778 05-17-2008 10:29 PM

I gotta find sometime for a few range sessions. I may not be on as much with me going to first and second shifts. when I get home my wife has to the puter.

frontier gander 05-17-2008 10:45 PM

Hey Corey, Did you mention this new rifle to your wife yet or you gonna sneak around with it like you tried doing with the tc? :D

corey012778 05-17-2008 10:51 PM

I just let her drop $300+ today at a firework store. only input I put in where firecrackers. everything that was picked was by her. that makes up for all 3 guns. but I am going to keep it. until she reads my post on it.

frontier gander 05-17-2008 10:58 PM

jeez!

We usually take off to wyoming to buy fireworks. buy 1 get 3 free. Plus they sell the stuff that goes way up in the air. In colorado we have a 3 or 4 foot limit [:'(] Lucky for us, we live back in the mountains and the neighbors enjoy the show and the bonfires we put on :D

Chasam60 05-18-2008 07:00 AM

Gander before i die i would lke to see the fireworks display off pikes peak on new years eve. it must be awsome. Talk about WAY HIGH!

Charlie

SuperKirby 05-18-2008 07:55 AM

That's a pretty impressive fireworks stand there on the border, just before Cheyenne, isn't it? We used to have 4 or 5 stands set up in town every year from the middle of June til the middle of July. Now, with the severe lack of rain we've been getting the last several years, we're down to one or two. The fuzz really started cracking down on the fun stuff. Doesn't mean we don't do it though, just got better at hiding it.

corey012778 05-18-2008 11:14 AM

me and my wife members of a buyers club for them. get buy one get one frees off the bat, then we had buy 1 get 2 free coupons. here in VA. we can have anything over3 to 6 ft. unless someone turns you in. the cops don't care. we set ours off over the interstate. the same with about 4 other families. we have a gasstation close to where we set them off cops set up there and watch them.

va law on firewares. you can have and transport anything that goes into the air but can't sale or set off.

cayugad 05-19-2008 12:11 PM

I will get right on that homework assignment Semisane .. I promise.

As for fireworks.. I am a strong believer that fireworks in the hands of professionals, at public displays, are a great thing and beautiful to watch. In the hands of some/most average people I really dislike (even hate)them.

For years, I saw too many incidents of grown intelligent adults do too many stupid things with fireworks. One of the dumbest ever saw was when at a gathering one evening,one person decided to shoot bottle rockets at people,me included. Believe me, he did not light off any more fireworks that evening. And to this day we are not friends. If I met him again, and he did the same thing, I would do exactly what happened that evening and never look back. Details are not necessary, but I did not have him arrested if that is what you're wondering.

Fireworks often times brings out too much of the foolish child in grown adults. Mix with that, a crowd and some alcohol with that and it is a recipe for trouble. And fireworks have no business in the hands of children. All too often I watched children lighting off fireworks under little or no adult supervision. I was a witness to one child's hand after he played with fireworks and it was not pretty, and the child will never use that hand for anything again. He can't even pick his nose with it.

In Wisconsin, fireworks are illegal. It being the 4th of July, your birthday, or any other special event does not give some one the right to set them off. Yet when they are arrested they can not understand what harm they did. If they are legal in your State, all fine and good. If not legal, driving out of State to then haul them back to a place where they are illegal does not make them anymore justifiable. If you feel the need to shoot them off, remember not all people enjoy your display, take responsibility for your actions and the consequences of fireworks that get out of hand, clean up your mess afterward, avoid alcohol, no children helping, and if they are illegal when they arrest you for it, be nice to the police officer. They are only doing their job.