Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Powerbelt Platinums >

Powerbelt Platinums

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powerbelt Platinums

Old 05-08-2008, 12:19 PM

Default Powerbelt Platinums

getting the Mountain Stalker ready to go out and test some 270g platinums! Going to try a charge of 90 grains first and see how that goes.

Saxman1, Thanks for all the stuff man! Those cleaning patches are going to come in handy.

And a big thank you for the #11 caps. I have not been able to buy #11's since august of last year! This town never replaces anything that sells out.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:06 PM

Default RE: Powerbelt Platinums

Very impressed so far.

I took 2 shots into my sand box that has 6 2x4's running across the front. I recovered one of those bullets but i couldnt find the other, I got into a rush and dumped the sand out all at once and so i lost the bullet.

3 third shot was at my coffee can packed with sand and i recovered the Powerbelt. This is the only .50cal Powerbelt that i have shot with 90g PS that i recovered in an excellent mushroom.

These still are copper coated and have another "Platinum" coating over the copper.

They shoot great out of that mountain stalker.

I am going to take a bit of a break, set up a smaller sand box and then try 20 yards with the 90g charge, and then 100g. So far i tested them at my 58 yard range.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:29 PM

I want more!! MORE MORE!!

90g Pyrodex Select, 20 yards, 270g Powerbelt Platinum. Friggin awesome! You can not bend these suckers! You know with the copper series, when they pan cake you can take them and bend them into any shape or form you want? I can not do that with these platinums! They are tough bullets thats for sure.

Saxman, You got yourself a new load if the Encore will shoot it with accuracy. I am going back out with 100g charges next. 20 yards and 58 yards. Anything further than that and the bullet wont have any problems.

Bullet on the FAR left is the 20 yard shot with 90g pyrodex select. Middle, 58 yard shot with the same charge, and the one thats chewed up is the first shot that went through the 2x4's and then into the sand.

That black stuff on the face of the bullet is/was the plastic tip on the Powerbelt.

Also, On the other shots, i noticed that the center of the belt was broken away and stuck to the nipple on the bullet. Adding a small amount of crisco will prevent this and allow the skirt to fly off cleanly. Just a minor set back.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

Good post.... I've been thinking about trying these but with all the negative posts about the older PB, I didn't want to take a chance at it. Guess I'll have to go buy a pack and see how they shoot out of my smoke pole.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:11 PM

Okay now i am a Platinum user!

100g Pyrodex Select, 270g platinum, 20 yards. Enough said! No need to say any more.

I wont even bother trying these out at my 58+ yard range. If they are holding up this well at 20 yards, Its going to do the job out to as far as the eye can see.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Frontier, you should do some penetration tests w/those powebelts. It'd be interesting to see how far they will penetrate with them opening up that much. You shoot Great Plains as well don't you? Maybe a comparrison of the two (and any others for that matter). I don't think anyone doubts that the powerbelt opens up. Just an idea...
Old 05-08-2008, 02:23 PM

I used to shoot them out of my X-150. After i shot a deer with one i decided not to use them. 20 yards with 80g pyrodex RS, the bullet only made it into one shoulder and the bullet ripped almost in half. And that was the 385g HP GP.

The 270g Platinum went though 4" of 2x4 and went an aditional 7" into the sand. Them suckers are hot when you pull them out of the sand right away.

I want to try them with 80g PS @ 20 yards and see how my faithful charge does on the bullet.

They do open up a lot, But they are so darn solid that i dont really see it being a problem.

May not exit due to the expasion but it is going to leave one hell of a hole and blood trail!
Old 05-08-2008, 02:30 PM

You're in luck TN! I forgot about these. I pulled them out of my sand box yesterday.

285g Hornady Great plains, 80g Pyro select, 58 yards.
240g Maxiball, 80g Pyro select, 58 yards.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great testing FG.Looks like they will be devistating on deer or anything else.I am going to get some more of those,I have one full pack left an 9 more in speedloaders.If you need more let me know I will send them.
I'll pick up some more caps for you today and another 500 patches for all your help,anything else you need just ask brother,didn't know if you use the 209's or not so I just sent them.What powder do you need I'll pick some up.
Thanks again
Old 05-08-2008, 03:12 PM

No way! I got the Powder. I can atleast take care of some expenses.

Those darn TC patches you sent me are excellent, I cleaned out the mt. stalkers barrel with only 2 patches! Those suckers are nice. I am going to try to pinch some pennies and see if i can wash them and reuse them! lol Im a Pollock, What did you expect?
I plan on trying out those primers too. I am not a huge fan of the kleanbores but i'll give them a shot in the Apex.

My sister called me today and was all sorry because she didnt call me for my bday. I gave her a mouth full of words and the next time i visit, she'll buy me some powerbelts

Quick Reply: Powerbelt Platinums

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.