HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Did some shooting with my hawken tonight (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/245292-did-some-shooting-my-hawken-tonight.html)

diehardhunter 05-07-2008 08:45 PM

Did some shooting with my hawken tonight

I shot a group a couple weeks ago with 70 grains of pyrodex RS and a tc pre lubed patch and roundball. It measured 2.75 at 50 yards with open sights. Tonight I shot another group at 50 with the same load, this time I poured down the powder and then put a dry patch on top of the powder then my usual patch and ball. This time the group measure 5/8" at 50 yards! The target on the left is with out the buffer patch and the one on the right is with a buffer patch. Im really impressed with this load.

Die Hard

frontier gander 05-07-2008 09:11 PM

RE: Did some shooting with my hawken tonight

:D Nice shooting! That is exactly what i do with my GPR when i shoot the thinner .015 patches. Pretty amazing isnt it?

Semisane 05-07-2008 09:33 PM

I wonder what would happen if you used regular drug store cotton balls under the patched ball? Maybe lightly lubed cotton balls?

cayugad 05-07-2008 10:38 PM

That is some excellent shooting there.. you sure can not complain about that.

tcshooter 05-08-2008 01:03 PM

Good shooting! When you say you put a dry patch over your powder, do you mean a regular roundball patch or and over powder wad?

gleason.chapman 05-08-2008 03:11 PM

Wow, very nice. Chap

diehardhunter 05-08-2008 03:12 PM

It is a .18 pillow ticking patch without lube. I totally believe in the "sweet spot" now. I was having accuracy problems with this gun before I found it but now I couldnt be happier with the gun.

Thanks,

Die Hard

gearheart 05-08-2008 04:34 PM

A dry patch? Wouldn't there be a risk of it smoldering and starting a fire in the woods?

nchawkeye 05-08-2008 06:09 PM

My .54 shot like that for a few years, I'd use wasp nest, felt wads, even 2-.010 patches as a buffer...

I finally cured it by going to WalMart and buying pillow ticking in bulk and lubing it up...It seems that the pre lubed store bought ticking breaks down over time and isn't as strong as when you buy it new, might give it a try...

bronko22000 05-08-2008 06:12 PM

Geez Diehard you think you could at least hit the center of the bull!!!!!!!!!
great shooting - Have you tried the felt wonder wads yet? These guys put me on to them a while back and my groups haven't been better. I don't have any for the 45 yet so I may give the dry patch a try.
Don't forget to adjust your sights now and see how you group at 100 or even 75 yds.