Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Ruined Renegade's Restoration Results >

Ruined Renegade's Restoration Results

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ruined Renegade's Restoration Results

Old 04-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Ruined Renegade's Restoration Results

Hey guys, remember my Disappointing Day With The Renegade? http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2736181&mpage=1&key=&#273618 1

Well, after working the pittedbore over with naval jelly and oiled steel wool, I reshot the same loads I tried in my original range session -fifty yard five shot groups with 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and six different bullets. Did I have any improvement? Not really. Here's a short description of the results.

Patched balls - Still tearing up patches with groups in excess of six inches.
410 grain Hornady GP - Group went from 3 7/8" to 3 1/2".
320 grain REAL - Group went from 4 1/2" to 4 3/8".
250 grain REAL - Group went from 4 3/4" to 9" (what the hell!)
405 grain Lee .457 cast bullet in MMP orange sabot- Group went from 4 1/2" to 5" (bullet clearly not stable - evidence of wobble on target)
250 grain Gold Dot in Harvester crush rib sabot- Group went from 2 7/8" to 1 7/8".

The only thing that looked promising was the Gold Dots in crush rib sabots. Maybe the sabots are better a dealing with the pitting near the muzzle. So I figured I ought to explore that a little bit. I shot a group with 300 grain Gold Dots in crush rib sabots, and a group with 300 grain Remington Semi-Jacketed Hollow Points in MMP orange sabots. They actually shot better than anything else (targets below). Clearly, a little load experimentation around those bullets is in order. Looks like this barrel will never be a patched ball shooter - which is what I wanted - but it may turn out to be useful with a sabotted bullet.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruined Renegade's Restoration Results

Semi I think you have more patience than I do...lol.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Dominant Buck

that is half the fun of these rifles...

You might have to order a .58 caliber 1-70 twist from Green Mountain and put on that stock. Then you can shoot a roundball that will stop anything you want to hunt. Although I am sure the .54 caliber from them would do fine as well..
Old 04-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

You might have to order a .58 caliber 1-70 twist from Green Mountain and put on that stock. Then you can shoot a roundball that will stop anything you want to hunt. Although I am sure the .54 caliber from them would do fine as well..
BINGO! Exactly what I'm thinking - leaning toward the .54.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I hope whatever endeavor you take semi - that it works out for you. Good Luck.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a rusty oldrenegade barrel I am working on. My load I am having the best luck with is 80 gr of Pyrodex P and a felt wad between the powder and a 320 gr real bellet. I chronographed it at 1440. Ron
Old 04-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Forgot to mention, I'm still thinking about chopping five inches off the barrel to see what it does. That will get me back past the worst of the pitting.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

isint naval jelly a rust converter? have you tried jb bore paste?. i would give it a try.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

isint naval jelly a rust converter? have you tried jb bore paste?. i would give it a try.
Yes it is. But I followed it with a long blast of carburetor cleaner, then 25 or 30 up & downs with oil saturated 0000 steel wool wrapped around a tight patch. Changed the steel wool after every five passes or so. It was pretty much down to shiny steel after that.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Hey semi- you and sabot got to get together with those guns and take em on a weekend retreat!!!!

Quick Reply: Ruined Renegade's Restoration Results

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.