HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Range work (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/243192-range-work.html)

yeoman 04-20-2008 08:41 PM

Range work

Took the Cabela Hawken out for exercise today. Wind was blowing hard. 15 knot crosswind with gusts to 20+. My clean bore shots have always been away from the pack using Pyrodex. Today, I loaded 100 T7 on the clean bore and a 200 10mm XTP and followed with 2 identical rounds but using Pyrodex. Very interesting I thought.

50 yds., open sights, 200/10mm XTP, 100 T7 & 100 RS

" />

I turned to the 100 and could not get the 200's to behave. At all [>:]

100yds., open sgts, 200/10mm XTP. 100 RS

" />

Surprised (and hoping) the wind could be so significant a factor, I grabbed some 250 JHP Noslers and HPH 12's and returned to the 50 yd. target. They were the heaviest bullets I had.

50 yds., open sgts, 250 Nosler, 90 RS

" />

I wasn't happy about the wide right shot (#3), but chit happens. I turned back to the 100 and managed a 2 7/8" group.

100 yds., open sgts, 250 JHP Nosler, 90 RS

" />

I then threw 4 or 5 of the 200 10mm's at the 200 yd target and that was a waste of time, and ammo. They were catching the background crab paper I put up a good 2 feet right of POA.

I think I'm gonna be happy when I get a calm day out there. I think I have the sights set to where the 200 XTP's with 100 RS will be zerod at 200 and the 250 Noslers (I plan to hunt with the 260 Partitions) will be zeroed at 100 using 90 RS.

Now, I may have to change my swabbing methods thanks to Semisane's science project.

Semisane 04-20-2008 08:51 PM

RE: Range work

I like that first target. I want to be able to shoot like that with iron sights (can I borrow your eyes?).

Bye the way - Good Report.

yeoman 04-20-2008 08:55 PM

Semi - After the first image, I thought I'd try being more efficient and write the post and insert all the images afterwards. Of course, I forgot the images!

Underclocked 04-20-2008 09:02 PM

Next up for the eyes. :D

That's the problem with lightweight, high speed, flat trajectory bullets in a muzzleloader. Any atmospheric disturbance and all that wonderful trajectory gain is absolutely worthless. Those that claim big heavy conicals drift more due to time in flight have obviously never done a windy day comparison.

yeoman 04-21-2008 08:11 PM

(can I borrow your eyes?)

Next up for the eyes.
Maybe I should sleep with one of them open lest I become an early organ donor.......;)

Semisane 04-21-2008 08:59 PM

Maybe I should sleep with one of them open lest I become an early organ donor.......;)
Naw! We would give them back in a few years - honest.

cayugad 04-21-2008 09:07 PM

That first group must have put a smile on you that would not come off... Then when they open up, it seems unfair. But still some good shooting there.. It looks like more range trips. I bet you will hate that.. :D

yeoman 04-21-2008 09:49 PM

Naw! We would give them back in a few years - honest
Semi - I consider lending them to you, but I'm concerned that the frequency with which you polish your bores they might come back crossed! [:o]

Dave - I am glad to have experienced those wind conditions and the difference between the 200 XTP's and the 250 Noslers at the 100 range. I might actually head to the range when it is really blowing just to try some heavier stuff....and hate it.;)

bronko22000 04-22-2008 07:25 AM

Nice shooting Yoeman - Thos Noslers look like the ones your rifle is going to like. If I were you I would try them and tinker with the charge. Of course that 100 yard group is tough to improve on with open sights. (I don't care how good your eyes are...)
I mmight have to shoot some targets at 100 yds even though I'll never shoot that far where I hunt.