HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Bullshops Test Report (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/243126-bullshops-test-report.html)

bronko22000 04-20-2008 10:58 AM

Bullshops Test Report

Courtesy of Sabotloader who sent me some Bullshops bullets to try I shot most of them to see how they matched up against the 275 gr Maxihunters I was shooting out of my GM 1:28 barrel.
All shots were at 50 yds using rest and 80 gr of T7 and shot card.
The first group was with the 460 gr. .503" No Excuses bullet (left of bull on left target). 3 shots meas. 2.25" CtC. Oh BTW Sabotloader, these suckers really pack a whallop compared to the 275 grainers...the recoil took me totally by surprise.
Next up was the .504" 400 gr Bullshops (left target at 12:00). This was impressive - 3 shots 0.5" CtC.
Replaced target and shot the .504" - 460 gr Bullshops (right target). These 3 shots meas. 1.25" CtC. Not too bad.
I know one group does not represent the loads capability but at least it does give me the conclusion that this rifle likes bullets in the 275 gr to 400 gr range. (It previously shot the 370 Gr Maxiballs moderately well and the 275 gr Maxihunters excepionally).
These bullets were relatively easy to start. No all you have to do is tell me where I can get me some 400 grainers.

bronko22000 04-20-2008 11:09 AM

RE: Bullshops Test Report

Oh, while I was shooting, another guy pulled up with his 7 yr old son. He was going to get him started shootin his Cricket.
We got to talking about the MLs and he told me that last year he picked up a Lyman Great Plains rifle on sale at Walmart for $75. I told him he should have bought all they had at that price.
Anyway, when I was done I sat on my tailgate and watched the young lad shoot. He was shooting at a target at 25 yds and after a couple of rounds and being all over the target, I offer his dad a 3" orange dot to stick on it so the boy could see it better. Wouldn't you know it the very first shot he hit almost dead center in the dot. And the next ones weren't that far off. I left them about their fun. The boy had a full carton of .22s to shoot off.

arcticap 04-20-2008 12:36 PM

Yep, that's the way it works sometimes...aiming small helps to shoot small! ;)

So was the recoil sharp, severe or uncomfortable at all?

bronko22000 04-20-2008 01:23 PM

Arctic - I'm used to shooting big bores so the recoil wasn't uncomfortable. It just that I was used to shooting the 275 gr bullets and these 460 grainers recoiled substantially more. Its just that I wasn't expecting that much more. It was a 'funny' surprise. After the first shot I had no 'surprises'. Sabot did warn me that the recoil was stout but I forgot all about it.

cayugad 04-20-2008 01:50 PM

nice shooting.. those Bull Shops are good bullets.. and they will take care of business as well..

arcticap 04-20-2008 01:54 PM

Since our ML hunting season is during cold weather, we're already wearing shoulder padding in the form of winter jackets and such.
Recoil always seems greater when shooting offa bench too.
Hopefully the greater recoil won't affect offhandaccuracy when hunting. That's something to consider andwhich can becompensated foron longer range shots, maybebyaiming a little lower if necessary.

Underclocked 04-20-2008 02:40 PM

contact info is in the picture. Those 400 grain .504s are made from a modified great plains mold. The 445 grainers might do well for as they are nearly the same length.

sabotloader 04-20-2008 04:53 PM

bronko22000

I am surprised that the 460's did not shoot better for you but man the 400 LGP's sure hit home - they look really good...

UC already gave you the contact info - and the information about his "UC short" which a lot of people have been having excellent luck with...