Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Nipple Talk

Old 04-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Nipple Talk

Easy Semi - this is above board....

The other day there was a discussion on the different nipples that a person might use. I have through the process of elimination chosen the nipple that seems to work best for me in a side hammer. I have cosen to use the very short TC or equivelent nipple.

Here are my reasons... or prcesses of elimination...

The first side hammer that I started with was a Lyman Trade Rifle - it came with a very short nipple - I really never understod why and if you ordered replacement nipples from Lyman you got the short stubby ones.

The next side hammer I got was a TC with what I call the standard nipple installed. As soon as I got that I did the same thing I did with the Lyman switched a "Hot Shot" or a "Red Hot" - they worked great, for the most part. I also tried some of the hollow base "Spit Fire" nipples but abanndoned them after a couple of incidents. I am basically cheap - so I do not regularly replace nipples - I use them as long as they will function. I believe I must have metal fatigue a couple of the hollow base type nipples as I blew the tops off of two of them - blow-back - leaving the threaded portion in the bolster. So I do not use hollow base any longer... think about it how much metal is there in a hollow base to hold the blow-back??? In fact that is what the whole in the stack of the "Hot Shot" is for to relieve blow-back to take pressure off the hammer...

A conversation with Doc White is what convinced me the short nipple was the way to go... I called him to order a 209 BP for my White - in the conversation he told me I really did not need one because the #11 work so well. I suggested that I have had problems getting T7 to ignite in really cold weather with a #11. The secret he says "is the length the flash has to travel before it reaches the powder" the shorter the distance the better chance the flash will still have enough heat to ignite T7. The distance in a White is "3/8th of an inch" - the powder will go off.

So how do I reduce the distance in a side hammer... DUH! shorten the nipple... This has really worked well for me in the cold, wet, weather here in Idaho...

If you have no concerns about cold and powder - disregard this whole message...

Old 04-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Nipple Talk

Good topic Sabotloader (even allowing for your libelous expectation of my reaction ). I've never had ignition problems in my caplocks with standard CCI #11s. Maybe it's because we don't have extreme low temperatures. Maybe because I've always used the short nipples. Either way, I'm a short nipple fan. You can take that any way you want.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol, hope my wife don't read this. she always tells me she has 2 when I say I gotta get some nipple. sorry the devil made me do it.

thanks for the info. I may have to try a shorter mipple on my new englander, been using tc hot shots. pick a bunch up at wally world when they where clearing them out.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:07 PM

I've always prefered the long nipples.

The short stubby ones never did a thing for me.

This topic can go either way
Old 04-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I swear by the hot shot nipples and it is all I ever use.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:55 AM
Spike

Go post this topic on the DWBS board, I'm sure they would have alot of insight in this area.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well sabot - your post makes sense. My Hawken uses the hot shot but my Renegade still has the original, shorter nipple. I actually perfer my nipples to be a matched set but I haven't had any trouble with either. I will keep this info logged in the back of my head for ruture reference.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Redpep

You and I both know how productive this post might be on DWB's - how long would it take to get completely off the intended subject...
Old 04-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Dominant Buck

on the DWB forum it would have never made it past the first post...
Old 04-16-2008, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

What Is DWB forum?

Quick Reply: Nipple Talk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.