HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Trying to get a MZ season in Montana (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/241407-trying-get-mz-season-montana.html)

rdpettit 04-08-2008 12:34 PM

Trying to get a MZ season in Montana

Enjoy:

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/SeasonalMessage2.html

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/SpecialReport.html

Slow Burn 04-08-2008 02:38 PM

RE: Trying to get a MZ season in Montana

It is a shame that hunters argue amongst themselves and let the animal rights activist and tree huggers have the upper hand. It seems these differences in opinions only adds fuel to the fire.

cayugad 04-08-2008 02:50 PM

Interesting reading to say the least... And I agree that there is no modern or traditional muzzleloader that can be considered equal to many of the modern centerfire rifles ou there. Anyone that ever hunted with a 7mm magnum or some of the 300 winchester mags, or similar calibers understand their power and reach.

One other point almost never mentioned is reloading time. Anyone with practice can reload and effectivly operate a modern centerfire rifle, no matter what make, much faster then most can do so with a modern or traditional muzzleloader.

Chasam60 04-08-2008 07:28 PM

I've bowhunted since 1964, and have never in my life experienced bowhunters with such a greedy, selfish attitude, with so little regard for other hunters and their prefered methods of hunting, as I have since making the move to Montana.-Quote Toby Bridges

Toby must not have been to New York. We cannot get an early MZ season in the Southern Zone due to pressure from bow hunters. They are not willing to give up or share any time at all.They get weeks during prime time(rut),we get 9 days in December.

Charlie

rdpettit 04-09-2008 07:06 AM

Ohio bowhunters get 4 months of deer season.... Muzzleloaders hunters get 4 days...

SteveBNy 04-09-2008 07:29 AM

I hunted 35 days with my White inlines in the NYS southern zone last year.
Another 35 days aprox with my bows.
2 deer with the bow.
4 with the mz - and passed up probably 20 shots.

I am happy with our seasons here (central NYS)- best of both worlds. Bows in bow season - guns in gun season.
An early mz season would never be limited to primitive - so the participation would grow rapidly.
Everyone knows that deer's attitude change dramatically once a lot of guns start going off and do not revert for several days/weeks after they end. An early mz season in my area would have a profound effect on the bowhunting - that is why I will fight it, eventhough I enjoy bow and gun equally.

Only thing needed is for the bow season to be given a fixed start date as was promised and we once had.

Steve

drenal 04-09-2008 08:51 AM

61 days in nj with the muzzy

rdpettit 04-09-2008 09:41 AM

You can use muzzleloaders during the Ohio deer gun season which is 7 days then another 2 days over a weekend two weeks later.

Bowhunters are allowed to hunt during the 4 day statewide muzzleloader season--funny how it doesn't go the other way??? But since the regs favor bowhunters what do you expect...

If you want to hunt the rut in Ohio you have to own a bow.

SteveBNy 04-09-2008 12:35 PM

Bowhunters are allowed to hunt during the 4 day statewide muzzleloader season--funny how it doesn't go the other way
Bowhunters have zero effect on gunhunters afield at the same time.

Gunhunting pretty much shuts down bowhunting opportunities. Deer may be getting pushed around, so sightings are good. Trouble is they tend to be movvvviiiing and skittish, so bow shot opportunities are very few. For that reason, I (as most bowhunters I know) pick up the gun and go have fun. Or they stay home.

And the states that have gun hunting in the rut tend not to have the buck quality or b/d ratio that ones have that restrict it.

ALL guns in gun - allbows in bow in bow would be fine with me.

Steve

Gotbuck 04-09-2008 06:23 PM

"feature article that appeared in the MISSOULIAN newspaper (Missoula, MT) on the morning of Tuesday, April 1, 2008."

Since that was in the April fools edition I assumed it was a joke. It truly is no joke that both bowhunters and muzzloaders are in fighting terms. I personally do not have a problem with added seasons as I hunt with all weapons as much as I can. Is Montana fairly flat terrain? I could see the issue if bowhunters were out in the open and competing with muzzleloader hunters that could be a safety issue. I know in Illinois they have no rifles allowed during gun seasons and only allow shotguns. Here in MO we can shoot anything in our hilly terrain. It really depends on who is voicing their opinions to the Montana game commission as to who will win that one.