Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Is it my shooting or something else?.... >

Is it my shooting or something else?....

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Is it my shooting or something else?....

Old 03-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is it my shooting or something else?....

I'm not a bad shot, Not by any means, I'm 44 yrs old and been shooting since I was 6, But I can't seem to get any tighter groups with my 50cal.other than about4 inches at 100yds. I was out the other day and took extra time and care, cleaned the bore, and waited for the barrel to cool down, between every shot, solid shooting from a bench. I had only 2 rounds in the 2" bullseye, one 1 1/2" high and 2" left, another 2 1/4" left, and 2 1/2"down. What really bothers me is that with 4 other shots, I had one 5"high and 6" right, and one 7"left and 3"high, and with 2 more that didn't even hit the paper! All shots mind you I didn't do any adjusting on the scope! I'm shooting a CVA Hunterbolt, Leuopold Vari X2, 100grns Pyrodex, and 295grn. Powerbelts. I'm so disgusted with these shots, I'm concidering selling it all. I've shot only one deer with it, 4 years ago, and it ended up a gut shot from 50yds. Not where I was aiming!!!! My question is, Do you think it might be possible that I'm doing something wrong during the shot? I know blackpowder shooting is a little differant than modern firearms, and that you need to follow thru with the shot, but I'mconsiously taking all this into consideration during the shot, and on a bench, and still, I'm winging shots that don't even hit the paper! I don't know what gives, anybody have troubles like this? I mean, I'm really seriously thinking about giving this up. Thanks, Scott.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:47 AM

Default RE: Is it my shooting or something else?....

if you're using loose powder, 100 grains pyrodex is 20 grains to much.

You can also try free floating your barrel.

Also can try replacing your breech plug, these wear out over time.

Cabelas sells a better breech plug thats made by CVA.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I should have clearified a little on the powder, I'm using pellets. As for the breech plug, This gun has less than 100 rounds thru it. I haven't thought about free floating the barrel. Is that something I can do, or is it a gun smith thing?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:02 AM

You can do it yourself. If you dont feel comfortable, you can send the rifle to me and i'll shoot it, free float it and then get it shooting for you. All i ask is that you'd be nice enough to pick up the shipping charge for the ride back to you.

If the stock needs bedding, i'll also do that for you along with the floating process.

Go to the link to get an idea on how to free float the barrel.

http://www.gbofreeforums.info/ThePow...topic.php?t=17
Old 03-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

With shots that crappy (sorry), I would be looking beyond the black powder.

When I am using a scoped gun and my groups aren't even consistent, I start suspecting the scope rings. Are they properly tightened? Did you use loctite on the screws? Were you able to bore sight the scope?

I am not familiar with BP inlines, but part of your problem could be similarto a problem I had with a Ruger 17HMR-the receiver was way out of alignment. I should have figured that out when I couldn't bore sight the scope. It took a trip to Ruger repair to get it fixed (which they only got partially right)

Best of luck.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RobertSubnet

With shots that crappy (sorry), I would be looking beyond the black powder.

When I am using a scoped gun and my groups aren't even consistent, I start suspecting the scope rings. Are they properly tightened? Did you use loctite on the screws? Were you able to bore sight the scope?

I am not familiar with BP inlines, but part of your problem could be similarto a problem I had with a Ruger 17HMR-the receiver was way out of alignment. I should have figured that out when I couldn't bore sight the scope. It took a trip to Ruger repair to get it fixed (which they only got partially right)

Best of luck.

Your right on on the alignment, It was off, I had a gunsmith install off set/adjustable rings on it. the only thing I had to do was after getting my scope back from being checked by Leuopold, was I ended up haveing to shim it under one end, I ran out of adjustment to get it on the paper. As for the screws, they are tight, everything on the mounts and all have all been double checked, like I said, with those "poor" shots, and don't be sorry, I agree, I'm seriously thinking of giving it up.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:17 AM

Still have open sights? Give those a try if you still have'em.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Frontier Gander, I will seriously consider your offer, and I thank you, and if I do, I will contact you. I will also reimburse you for anything you would do. It's the only honorable thing to do. Scott.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Still have open sights? Give those a try if you still have'em.
For some reason, I just hate open sights, maybe I need to give them a retry.LOL. I couldn't do any worse right!
Old 03-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would make a couple of changes...First, go to loose powder, I would start with Pyrodex R-S or Goex FFF if you can find it...Second, try another bullet, some guns just don't like PowerBelts...

Remember, you are handloading with a muzzleloader, every load needs to be consistant...That gun will shoot better than that, you just have to find the right combination...

Quick Reply: Is it my shooting or something else?....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.